Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Updates - Taking Long Time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 struckdumb1

struckdumb1

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

Hi there,

For the last three or four times that Windows Updates (for Windows 7) have been installed (by automatic updates) my computer seems to be taking longer and longer.

Three hours or more is about the usual amount of time - I don't know how long exactly as I have waited, given up and gone to bed.

The system works in the morning apparently updated - but this seems to be very long.

Is that normal?
Is my system building up to something unpleasant?

Thanks

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

If your system is using Windows 7 64 bit and you have 2GB of RAM or less, or 1GB on Windows 7 32 bit, then this may be the cause of your slow updates.  Updating can take a lot of resources.

For both systems I would recommend that you upgrade to at least 4GB of RAM. You may also want to run a check disk and look for bad sectors on your hard drive. Otherwise Windows will be Windows, remember while using Windows everything runs on Microsoft time :-D

Edited by wing987, 21 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 struckdumb1

struckdumb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:22 AM

Thank you.
I have 12 GB RAM so I'll get onto check disc.

#4 struckdumb1

struckdumb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

That's not good - checkdisk won't run due to errors. It recommended restoring the system to a previous point, so I'm trying that currently.
First restore point failed, so trying an older one.

#5 struckdumb1

struckdumb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

Ok - after doing a system restore to a previous point I managed a checkdisc and go this result (what's that stuff?):

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)... 900096 file records processed. File verification completed. 4488 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 10050 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)... 1050588 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)... 900096 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 3939 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 3939 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 3939 unused security descriptors. CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream ࣑渁屢嬖࣑ data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 㼩渁嬖嬖ɚɚ嬖 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 喿ɚ㼩㼩屢ɚ喿渁喿ɚ KB total disk space. ꐦꐦ喿嬖嬖渁喿ɚꐦ KB in 喿㼩ꐦ喿 files. 嬖Ⱃ屢屢ꐦⰓ KB in ࣑渁屢渁Ⱃ indexes. Ⱃ KB in bad sectors. 喿Ⱃꐦ喿ꐦ࣑ KB in use by the system. ꐦ渁渁㼩ꐦ KB occupied by the log file. 喿屢࣑Ⱃ㼩屢㼩࣑ꐦ KB available on disk. 嬖Ⱃɚꐦ bytes in each allocation unit. 嬖㼩㼩屢屢࣑ɚ total allocation units on disk. 㼩喿࣑渁ɚ渁渁ɚ嬖 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 0Ⱃ 煒㾘 0溘 0Ⱃ 喿࣑ ɚ喿 0溘 0Ⱃ 渁빢 ࣑ɚ 喿ɚ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ ........^y...... 빢煒 渁煒 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 嬖屢 屢࣑ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ .[..B'.......... 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ 0Ⱃ ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Is the copy of Windows that is being used an English copy?  I am being somewhat sarcastic, but it does look like it suddenly changed to....well, it doesn't look Korean so maybe Japanese or Chinese? I am not sure, and could be totally off base and it is Korean.  Either way, it looks like it completed despite the...hiccup?

Just to be safe I would run it again. I am a little worried about the hiccup's occurring at all of the informative portions. I have to say that this is a new thing for me.  If the next result is the same, we might have to find someone with more experience in this area than I. Otherwise I predict you will come up with no problems found.  We would only need to test the timing of an update.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 struckdumb1

struckdumb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

OK - thanks again for the guidance.

Ran check disc again and  got this:

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)... 900096 file records processed. File verification completed. 4486 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 10050 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)... 1050786 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)... 900096 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 38 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 38 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 38 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 75346 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 35465712 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 1933291519 KB total disk space. 662760872 KB in 814323 files. 402788 KB in 75347 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 1061887 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 1269065972 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 483322879 total allocation units on disk. 317266493 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 bc 0d 00 48 93 0d 00 97 7c 19 00 00 00 00 00 ....H....|...... ed 5b 00 00 42 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .[..B'.......... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Do I assume that all is well or do you think that I ought to be running some other checks?

In between I have been running an MBAM scam - it ran for 9 hours without concluding (I shut it down to checkdisc again) that seems unusually long.

Edited by struckdumb1, 25 August 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#8 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

Everything looks good on your system so far.  You could also check the SMART status on your hard drive, this may indicate a failing hard drive.  You may also want to boot into diagnostics and test your RAM, just to be safe.  Each of these could be a contributing factor. Please let me know if you need help on how to get to these tests, but you seem knowledgeable enough to have no issues. 

MBAM running for 9 hours does seem high, but it isn't unheard of. This can be especially true if you were running other checks at the same time.

One question though, did you run this check disk while in the OS? Or did you schedule the task and reboot so it tested the entire drive? (you should have been prompted to restart after scheduling the task)  If you did not have to restart you will want to do so in order to catch the more critical system files that would not have been checked because it is in use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users