Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New (optional) updates on 8/21/15

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

There are 2 "optional" update to look closely at.

1) Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 (KB3075249)

2) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry (KB3080149)

I think that Microshaft is up to it's old 'snooping' tricks again.  I'd advise not to install them.  Any thoughts from you gurus?

- RVAH-12

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

Hi RVAH-12 :)

I personally would install them because I see no harm in doing so. As long as they aren't drivers update, there's no real chance that they'll mess up your system. If you are one of these users that cares about privacy (in a certain way), you might just want to leave the second update out, but for the first one, it can be useful in the future (the kind of data it'll collect can be valuable to enhance Windows' protection).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

"If you are one of these users that cares about privacy (in a certain way) ..."

Aura - Hello, again.  My life is pretty much an 'open book' except for some "CLASSIFIED" stuff I've done ... a long time ago.  But it's the principle of the thing that gets me.  I have too many people/programs that can be used to breech and exploit my privacy.  Remember "Privacy" and "CHOICE"?  lol

- RVAH-12

P.S. - You're up early!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Some people are for the telemetry, some aren't and some like me just don't care and let Microsoft do what they have to do. Personally, I don't care a lot about what kind of data they collect about my computer, as long as it doesn't annoy me in a certain way. I'm not breaking the law, nor am I hiding anything from the authorities or Microsoft so I have nothing to be afraid of.

And yeah, I wake up at 6 AM on week days since I go to work at 8, but my job is an hour of road away :(

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

I'm one of those who don't care...and I never install "optional updates" of any sort via Windows/Microsoft Update.

I understand that "critical" means that it's necessary...while "optional" implies that it's not necessary.

Louis

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I am one of the privacy minded people, and although Microsoft has a history of a lot of snooping, and development of major security breaching snooping software, it has all been done in the name of securing their income for a product their rightfully developed. Until recently I did not care about that since a breach is a breach.

However, recently Microsoft has made massive improvements on their defense of privacy. They now have publically stated that they will stall warrants long enough to allow the "victim" of the warrant to obtain proper legal representation so that they can defend themselves (unless illegal to do so, such as life and death of a minor). Additionally, they no longer release information to the government without a valid warrant.

These are and were my main concerns, since most companies only want metrics on the large numbers of people (IE: google) and could care less about the individual. Where as government tends to use individual information in ways that are unpredictable at best. Microsoft joining the masses of major companies that are standing up to the governments misuse of these requests does alleviate some of my fears and as a result I am willing to install these patches.  This can help things overall.  Although, their secrecy behind the move to 10 and the following "it will only be known as Windows" systems does have me concerned, but not about privacy in general.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am not making political statements, and I could care less about the opinions of those that do not care to do the research. I am just adding a point of view from the OP's side instead of opposing it. Although I HAVE stated some of my opinions, I have NOT gone in depth on the reasoning, methods, thought process, or research behind it.  I came to my conclusions with valid thought and through critical thinking processes, and I respect others who do the same even if they come to a different conclusion.  Please do not "harass" my post because you are only seeing a quick reference to the tip of the iceberg of my processes and opinions. Legitimate discussions however are always welcome.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

Aura said: "as long as it doesn't annoy me in a certain way."

Therein lies the rub (as they say)

- RVAH-12

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Therein lies the rub

I'll have to Google that one. First time I hear it and I don't know what it means at all (English isn't my native language) :P

unite_blue.png

#9 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

I did not install them. Neither of them seem to benefit me in any way, and I have the customer experience stuff turned off anyway, so what good would they be? I think if someone has the customer experience feedback turned on, then you might as well install them to keep it up to date although I doubt it matters.

Sadly ever since a couple months ago we have to inspect each windows update, since they now have updates that "resolve" the "issue in windows" that windows 7 is missing windows 10 nagware that can't be disabled. Funny because I never felt that was a windows issue that I needed to resolve before!

#10 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

I did not install them. Neither of them seem to benefit me in any way, and I have the customer experience stuff turned off anyway, so what good would they be? I think if someone has the customer experience feedback turned on, then you might as well install them to keep it up to date although I doubt it matters.

Sadly ever since a couple months ago we have to inspect each windows update, since they now have updates that "resolve" the "issue in windows" that windows 7 is missing windows 10 nagware that can't be disabled. Funny because I never felt that was a windows issue that I needed to resolve before!

You're 'preaching to the choir', brother!

Edited by RVAH-12, 22 August 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

Not everyone have the issue the update is solving. Microsoft is releasing such updates because a significant amount of users reported the issue to them and it's enough for them to release a patch to fix that issue and prevent it from occuring on other systems. Or sometimes, you just won't see that issue at all but it'll be there, hidden.

unite_blue.png

#12 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

People reported the issue that their windows 7 wasn't nagging them to install windows 10? :D   I am making a commentary on the deliberately deceptively titled/catagorized patch(es) that claim to "Resolve an issue in windows", when in fact they do not resolve an issue at all, they add a "feature".

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

What update are you talking about? Do you have a KB number?

unite_blue.png

#14 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

People reported the issue that their windows 7 wasn't nagging them to install windows 10? :D   I am making a commentary on the deliberately deceptively titled/catagorized patch(es) that claim to "Resolve an issue in windows", when in fact they do not resolve an issue at all, they add a "feature".

Just curious, since when was nagware/ransomware/malware/spyware considered a feature? Don't people spend billions to remove it?  That being said, I tried Windows 10....test and gaming system.  It was not bad actually, but there are ad's.  I guess we cannot complain for "free" OS upgrade right? *sarcasm intended* But a look behind the scenes shows a LOT of connections to the internet and offsite storage that didn't exist even in 8. Oh well, they made the lack of privacy useful, so I left it.  But 10 began failing to run some games (this is a gaming system only, hence the no concern for privacy) so I rolled back to 7. And OMG....DONT!!!!  Windows botched the rollback so I had no internet.  I could ping, and was obviously connected, but DNS would not function at all.  And there was no fixing it, I spent hours trying.  So Factory default I go...and nope, I can't....windows destroyed that linkage too...image not detected...recovery partition only detected when fully booted....AND diagnostics not available.  So I use external media to search for the factory image with personal software, it is there but now installs on my E drive instead of my C despite being configured for C, problem not resolved since I boot to C. So I remove the E drive, and it fails to find the C drive but boots fine.....

This went on for hours...finally I resorted to full external media recovery in order to make things work. So the "features" may also include destroying your ability to function unless your mid to high level IT if you decide that you do not like their new features......although this is based only on my single experience and the posts online.  Others seem to have no issues.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#15 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

More Kool-Aid, anyone?  MUWAHAHAHA

- RVAH-12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users