Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security suite you would recommend

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Buhaj47

Buhaj47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

I have been using free Avast antivirus so far, but decided to try a paid security suite since I have public IP address - I have a laptop with i5-3230M, 8 GB RAM, and Windows 10 64-bit. Most reviews point out Bitdefender Internet Security as the ulitmate choice in this respect - however, I am more inclined to go for Norton Security. Would you recommend Norton? AV Tests suggest it is slowing down the system just a bit, but I have not noticed that TBH (I am using a 30-day free version). Or maybe just stay with Avast?

On a side note, do you trust independent/"independent" reviews of AV software or think there is something else behind their recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:05 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes and how it may affect system performance. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Most Internet Security Suites include a Firewall, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is adequate protection and many folks also use a router. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Buhaj47

Buhaj47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for that - there is no Norton software on your list; does that mean you regard it as a weaker option than the three you mentioned?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:30 AM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

Buhaj47

:welcome:  to the forum :)

Regarding Norton, my experience has been good with this AV.  I'm running N360 on 3 PC's, 2 of my Win 7 PC's and one family member's XP PC.

I haven't experienced high CPU or sluggish PC performances with Norton but that may be due to my PC habits (basic user, not a PC gamer).  I also use my Desktop PC for most of my PC activities which has an i5-650 CPU and 16g RAM installed.  Perhaps these factors are why I don't see Norton affecting my PC's CPU stats or response times.

However, I'm not running Norton's latest (Win 10 compatible) version on my PC's.  Numerous Norton customers that have upgraded their AV to the new version have been experiencing issues with their PC's.  Norton is fixing the issues but it's taking some time to get it all back to normal with the new version.

Although I've been satisfied with Norton during the past 2½ years, I'm considering switching to another AV when my 1-yr license renews in December.  That's due to the problems that have been occurring with the Win 10-compatible version rollout.

#6 Buhaj47

Buhaj47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, it is just that I have had Norton on my laptop for a few days, and did not really notice any performance drops. Probably depends on a particular configuration and other software installed. If I was to choose any AV from quietman7's list though, that would be ESET - on a side note, it is a tad more expensive here in Poland than Norton Security (but the difference is pretty small).

Edited by Buhaj47, 21 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, it is just that I have had Norton on my laptop for a few days, and did not really notice any performance drops. Probably depends on a particular configuration and other software installed...

That could very well be the case. Sometimes you have to experiment and see what works best on your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users