Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything on Hard Drive Deleted.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jessica W

Jessica W

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hey there, most likely in the wrong place but hopefully someone can help me out.

I have an Acer and brought a Seagate hard drive to store all photos and files, all was going fine until I brought a Macbook Air in which my Seagate hard drive was somehow incompatible with, it was not letting me add new folders or store new photos on there. I later found that this was due to the format, so as per the instructions listed on the Seagate website, changed the format to suit my Macbook. In the process I have deleted EVERYTHING that was stored on my hard drive. Is there any way to get everything back? The idea that every photo and video from the first two years of my daughters life are gone is incomprehensibly devastating please help.
Regards, Jessica.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hello, and Welcome

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but because you formatted the drive with a different file system your chances of retrieval are very slim if that. Your only chance would be to scan the drive with software like Easeus Data Recovery. If after the scan it finds nothing, your data is gone. I believe Easeus will let you retrieve up to 1GB for free. After that, you need to purchase a key. If it does find any files,do not copy them back to your external drive.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Edit: A professional data recovery service may be able to find the files but this is expensive, approx $600 to $1000. There is a poster here that works for Datamedics. I can PM him hoping he replies or you can visit their site. You can also get a quote form drivesavers. I would mention how you lost the data by formatting the Windows drive on a MAC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 August 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#3 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hey Jessica,

The situation isn't as bad as it seems. The Apple system won't write to an NTFS formated drive. True. Reformatting it with a different file system does make the file inaccessible, but not gone.

They just need to be pointed to again.

To do this you'll need two things, a windows computer, and a software called GetDataBack for FAT and NTFS v4.0.0.1 Portable.

Then just reformat your drive again, with NTFS from a windows computer (click on the check box that says "quick format") and run the portable version of the software.

It may take an hour but all of your files should come back. Then save the files to the windows computer. No money neccessary.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#4 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Also, after the files come back, from a mac you can format your external with a file system called exFAT that will allow you to use the external drive for a windows and a mac. Once the external is formatted in exFAT, you can plug it back into your windows machine, pull all of the files off and you should be good to go.

NOTE: after a drive is formatted, or even when a file is just deleted. It's never gone, it makes the space where files are available to be written over. The only way to truly erase your files is to write over the data with other data. So DO NOT use your external drive to store new files until you have all of your old files back.

#5 Jessica W

Jessica W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thank you so much for getting back to me guys. I have plugged my hard drive back into the Acer, but am having a hard time formatting it as I could not find quick format. I googled it and these were the instructions: start>right click on computer>manage>right click blue bar> format. I can see format there it is just unclickable. is this an appropriate way to format or is there another way, where would one find quick format by the way. Sorry my knowledge of computers is extremely limited. I have windows 7 if that is helpful.

#6 Jessica W

Jessica W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Windows has decided to upgrade to 10 right now, is this going to affect anything?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Whatever you do, don't format the drive again. Did you recover your files? If not, can you put this drive into an external enclosure?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 August 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#8 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hey Jessica, windows 10 shouldnt affect anything. After you plug in your external drive, when your drive shows up in windows, just right click on the drive and select format. The menu that pops up will allow you to select quick format, and it should defulat to NTFS.

It needs to go back to NTFS before you can pull any files off of it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

@adenlG, this is the first time I have heard of reformatting a drive to another file system to pull files. If that works then call me impressed. I did a trial of formatting a drive with NTFS then formatting EXT4. I was able to pull some files off the EXT4 partition using recovery software but not all. Hope it works for the OP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 August 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#10 Jessica W

Jessica W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Quick update downloaded EaseUS to mac plugged Drive into that quick scan did not find anything so I am currently doing a deep scan which has 2hrs and 55mins left which I am fine with as long as it actually works. It has currently found 236 files do you think it could be the photos and videos, also when i downloaded it, it said it can find but not recover? 

#11 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

Oh, let me explain then.

The original external drive was formatted with NTFS, works great for windows, useless for mac. When jessica followed the instructions on the manufacturers website to reformat the drive to use it for the mac OSX she was unaware that the the new format (most likely macos journaled extended) was going to make her files inaccessible and appear deleted. Basically all of the information is still there, but it removed the pointers that associate file names and icons with data.

If she tried to do a data recovery on a mac while the drive was still formatted in not NTFS, she wouldn't be able to find anything. And that's why shes not finding anything now. Jessica you might as well stop that scan with easeus if you're running it from the mac.

The only way she'll be able to recover the files is by reverting back to the NTFS format, a file system the files were written, and can be recovered in, and running the scan from a windows machine.

The recovery operation,  in a nutshell basically looks for common file types in the hex code, and then re-points them (for lack of a better term) to the original files they're associated with.

Also if she writes over the data, say with the wrong type of data recovery operation (non-NTFS based) those files are gone for good, or at least makes them really hard to get back.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

It will let you preview your photos to show they can be recovered but it looks like Easeus changed their policy where you will need to pay for a key to recover the files. If you call them and ask for a discount. They are usually pretty good at giving one. 

Edit: She is finding files with Easeus. I wonder if the OP formatted the disk back to NTFS? I was able to recover files from a NTFS partition formatted to EXT4 without reverting but I was not able to recover everything. I am going to try it again this time reverting back to NTFS.

And thanks for the explanation.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 August 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#13 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

Oh and one more thing, the difference between the quick format and regular format (fairly important) is that the quick format removes the pointers, easy to recover, and the regular format usually write gibberish over the data to make it harder to recover. 

#14 Jessica W

Jessica W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

I have stopped scan on mac as per your advice adenIG, have connected Drive back to Acer. From here do I format first or run scan? sorry getting a little confused with all this info. When I plug in the drive nothing pops up like when you plug in say a phone. the plug with green tick icon is in the bottom right hand screen so I know it is connected. I go into devices and printers I see it there as BUP Slim SL, at least I think that is the Drive?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

I would not have cancelled the scan but I am going to leave your questions for adenlG to answer as it can get too confusing for two people answering the same question on a problem like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users