Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop Before Post HELP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hello all~

I recently acquired a free desktop computer from a friend. He couldn't get it to work, gave to me, and he bought a new one.

Anyway, When first plugging in the PSU, and before i push the power button, the computer begins to boot up by itself. The lights, Hard drive, fans, etc will operate for approx 10 seconds (timed it with stopwatch) and then will completely reboot. Nothing appears on the screen at this time. No bios options, no motherboard splash screen. Nothing. This will repeat over and over if i let it (i couldn't handle more than 5 minutes for fear of further damage.

Here is the kicker, at ANY point during this boot loop, if I press the RESET button on the front, it will exit the boot loop, and boot up like there was absolutely nothing wrong. I let it say on for 4 hours, operated just fine.

Once i go to power down (throught the start menu, SHUT DOWN), it will power down just great. BUT, 3 seconds after being powered down, it will try to boot itself again and begin the boot loop cycle.

I have updated the BIOS to the most recent via a thumb drive and that was successful. The default settings are chosen and I verified that the setting for booting after power down is off in the bios.

I have tried with 2 sticks of ram, 1 stick, and 0 sticks. I have unhooked the CD/DVD drive from the PSU. Tried only running HD, MOBO, and PSU but still a boot loop scenario when plugging in. I even tried a spare PSU I had on hand with nothing different.

MOBO is an ASUS DQ45CB running Win7 Pro. 4gb ram, 500gb HD, and on board sound. 

I'm going to bed and will get it to the operating system. I'll leave it on all night and see if it ends up beginning a boot loop somehow so I can answer that question when/if i get it.

I read many other forums but none seemed to have my special case. Either they couldnt get past boot loop, or it was the CMOS battery or something. My battery is new, and have ruled out, ram, psu, HD, and power button on the front.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

The computer did not last the night. It was in a boot loop when I woke up this morning. Any ideas to try first?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

I"d try this first:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Otherwise I'd post over in the Internal Hardware forums for the experts there to have a look.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Repost at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587481/boot-loop-before-post/ , this topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users