Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Shut Off, Now Computer Can't Bleep (Sound Doesn't Work)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wesken

Wesken

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Hi!

I posted this in other tech support forums, nobody seems to be able to help me there. Decided to try out this forum. :hello:

All of the info is here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-randomly-shut-off-now-sound-doesnt-work-1028785.html#post6563153

To sum it up, my laptop randomly shut off one day (as if the battery was removed) and the sound stopped working when I started it back up. Someone said it overheated. The fan was faulty (worked... kinda), so I thought that might have been true, got it replaced. Computer shut off again in the same way about a week and a half or so later, but was only warm to the touch -- it's been much warmer before without shutting off.

Anyways since it shut off the first time, the sound stopped working, and the drivers for it have had yellow flags and the following message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Any attempt to delete and re-install the drivers has been unsuccessful so far.

Any help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2015 - 11:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

Faulty fan...shutoffs from overheating...my personal opinion is that the system could have resulted in motherboard damage.

What did the person who replaced the fan...have to say about all this, subsequent to fan replacement?

Louis

#3 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

I replaced it myself with instructions. I'm not entirely sure if it even overheated the first time (the old fan usually worked, it was just noisy and stuttered sometimes), since the second time it shut off it wasn't actually hot (as I said, it's been much warmer before, and I'll add that I've done more cpu-intensive things). 

Edited by Wesken, 21 August 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

================

Where are you seeing the yellow "flags"?  The Device Manager?

If you did not find this in the Device Manager, open the Device Manager and click on the diamond next to Sound, video and game controllers to see if there are any yellow warning icons.  If there are, double click on the Audio device this is found in, then click on Drivers.  Try updating the driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OqC8UOwyr5pwpBFiHW11cDP

The yellow warning icons are in the device manager, yes. I've tried updating the drivers several times in several ways (as seen by the link in the original post to the other forums), always with the same result.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

You have two active antivirus programs installed and running.  You should never have more than one antivirus installed on a computer.  You need to uninstall one of the two you have installed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Your audio is Realtek, is this the driver you are trying to replace?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, will uninstall the one that has the expired subscription. Yes, the Realtek driver is, but there is also a "High Definition Audio Device" that is there alongside the Realtek driver that automatically installs when installing other things like the chipster driver. I believe it also was alongside the Realtek driver originally. The volume always was for. High Definition Audio  Device" - it also has the yellow icon and Code 39.

Edited by Wesken, 21 August 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Both of those should be listed under Sound, game and video controls in the Device Manager.  Have you tried replacing them from there?

#9 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

Yes

#10 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

try checking the hardware ids of the hardware thats not working correctly. If you can get the PCI and ven number, you can google those bad boys to get the correct drivers.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#11 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

The driver properties say they are located at the "Internal High Definition Audio Bus." How do I locate the PCI and ven numbers?

#12 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

In Device Manager look for audio. It should have a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right click and select Properties. In the dropdown box select Hardware IDs Edit: Under the details tab. Copy and post the first line.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#13 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

1st Hardware ID for High Definition Audio Device:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_1C20&VEN_8086&DEV_2805&REV_1000

For Realtek High Definition Audio:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_10431BD3&REV_1001

There was nothing that simply said, "Audio," if that is what I needed to post.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

The yellow warning icon is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark inside it for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.

In Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 there are two listings for Audio devices.

1.  Audio inputs and outputs.

2.  Sound, video and game controllers.

The item associated with the warning icon usually will already be opened to indicate what the warning is referring to.

Below is a good example.

device%20manager_zpsp4qhxrqx.png

Edited by dc3, 24 August 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#15 Wesken

Wesken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

Here is what my device manager looks like:

ae9pqb.jpg

From above:

1st Hardware ID for High Definition Audio Device:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_1C20&VEN_8086&DEV_2805&REV_1000

For Realtek High Definition Audio:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_10431BD3&REV_1001

Edited by Wesken, 24 August 2015 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users