Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

I restored my computer yesterday to a factory restore, and as of this time I had received a total of twenty one windows updates. I just went to turn the computer off and it says it is installing 1 of 197 updates. To me, this does not sound normal. Does this sound normal to anyone? It is a windows 7 starter computer. The owner thinks the computer is some where between five and seven years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

Yes, this is normal for a brand new copy of Windows or one that was factory restored. That's how many updates that have come out since W7 came out (2009).

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:16 AM

Yep... I have 175 installed updates and about 25 or so "hidden" so that's about right.... if you have Office it's even more. One suggestion: I wouldn't allow WinDOZE Updates to try installing ALL of them at once, there's bound to be a problem... even if by law of averages only... I'd change settings to "Check for updates but let me decide what to download & install" & then do them in "batches", say DotNet updates, IE updates, security updates maybe 10 or 15 at a time... etc

YMMV, HTH. :)

Yes, this is normal for a brand new copy of Windows or one that was factory restored. That's how many updates that have come out since W7 came out (2009).

That's how many are needed for Windows 7 even with SP1 installed. (2011)

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 August 2015 - 04:20 AM.

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

Gigawert and Union-Thug, I think there is a problem some place with the download site, or something. When I went to bed last night at around 10:30 P. M there was 150 of 197 updates installed on the computer. It is now 7:30 A. M. and the download number has not changed. In 8:30 minutes. The download should have been completed by now. Have either of you two ever heard of that happening. In case it continues doing this what action should I take since it says "do not turn off your computer or unplug your machine". If the download is stuck, and will not continue on what should I do? Is it possible I could turn off the computer while this download is in progress without it screwing anything up? It appears to be stuck right on the 150 of the 197 update. I have never had this happen before. I have already had to use factory restore three time now. I had the computer working perfectly with the first twenty one updates installed I had installed. Thanks fir your replies.

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

I was thinking, if I have to turn off my machine while the updates are stuck in the downloading process, what would it hurt? I could then go in and uninstall all the installed updates and change the install updates automatically to let me decide when, and which ones to install. Is this a problem with the Microsoft update website, or is it a problem with the computer? I have to guess its the first.

#6 Celestial One

Celestial One

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

Before you installed the updates, you went through and check marked everyone of them i suppose. Whats happened now is that windows installer along with a few other services have consumed most of the ram, leaving no free ram for those hungry services to consume. Its a bug, that one of those updates fixes. When reinstalling i always let windows install the updates it has checked even when sometimes it will have 1 out of 12 important updates checked. I figure theres a good reason why.

I would recomend that you shut down the computer, either reinstall and download the updates without checking off any extra.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

Celestial One, I have the computer set to automatic update. The computer was ok all day long. I didn't even know the updates were being applied until I went to turn off the computer. It was already had 150 of the 197 updates installed. I left it on all night and approximately 8 hours later it has not changed. I would like to stop the updates by turning off the computer with the 149 updates already installed and start all over again. I worry about screwing up the computer. I have already reinstalled the factory restore three times and I don't want to do it all Ives again if I don't have to. There has to be some way to stop these updates since they are frozen with screwing up the computer. Thanks.

#8 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

For those of you who have replied to my question. I finally got the computer back to normal again by running disk analyze and defragment. So everything is back to normal again. Windows update shows there are still 48 important updates to do, but I will wait until my new 2 GB memory card came in which I ordered yesterday. The current memory is only 1 GB which I don't feel is inadequate for today's computers. Thanks to all who replied.

#9 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

For those of you who have replied to my question. I finally got the computer back to normal again by running disk analyze and defragment. So everything is back to normal again. Windows update shows there are still 48 important updates to do, but I will wait until my new 2 GB memory card came in which I ordered yesterday. The current memory is only 1 GB which I don't feel is inadequate for today's computers. Thanks to all who replied.

Considering the problems that you have had I would order a minimum of 4GB, provided your motherboard can handle it. Remember that you will not have 3GB, but only 2GB.  You must have equal pairs in order for them to work. Additionally, installing the 1GB chip with a 2GB chip would cause an error in booting, OR it will boot just fine and register the 3GB but only perform at 2GB.  And at the speed of the slowest chip at that.

Obtaining more RAM was a great idea, especially looking over the problems that you had. However I think you may need to order a bit more to make your system see the improvement that you are after.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#10 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Wing987, this computer is a Toshiba 7 starter. The maximum amount of memory it will hold is only 2 GB. It has only one bank of memory. It only has one 1 GB of memory now and I am replacing it with an upgrade of 2 GB - its maximum amount. I am helping a friend with this computer and I have it at my residence. Thanks.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

I don't think you should wait to to the updates. You can try just checking one at a time. It's boring but you can do it while you watch tv or something.

#12 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

Sparklestar, I was finally able to get all the updates installed and all is back to normal again. I have already returned the computer back to the owner. I think what was happening was there was so many updates to install that the computer ran out of space.Thank you very much for your suggestion though.

#13 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Wing987, this computer is a Toshiba 7 starter. The maximum amount of memory it will hold is only 2 GB. It has only one bank of memory. It only has one 1 GB of memory now and I am replacing it with an upgrade of 2 GB - its maximum amount. I am helping a friend with this computer and I have it at my residence. Thanks.

My mistake, I had failed to catch that. I was unaware that people still used the starter edition, but I guess some should have been floating around still. My apologies.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#14 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Your apology is accepted wing987. I had never seen a starter computer before. Anyway, I finally have it operating and it is working very well. Thanks for your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users