Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop failed in the middle of a windows update and now it will not boot.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 slvy9

slvy9

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

My computer failed in the middle of a windows update and now it won't boot. It turns on and displays the HP logo then goes black and stays that way. I can hit esc to access the start up menu and have the following options:

1. f1 system information

2. f2 system diagnostics

3. f9 boot device options

4. f10 BIOS Setup

5. f11 System Recovery

When I run system diagnostics, 100% of system memory tests okay and the Primary Hard Disk Quick Test freezes at 54% every time. If I skip the hard disk check before it gets to 54% it moves on to Smart check and the SMART Hard disk passes. When I press f11 to initiate system recovery, the laptop stays on but the screen goes black. 

I guess from this point I have two questions. 1. Is it definitely a problem with my hard drive and 2. Is it possible to recover files on the computer?

Edit: It's an HP Pavilion dv4-1114nr and I believe it was running Vista Home Basic.

Edited by slvy9, 20 August 2015 - 09:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Can you get to Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 at boot? Select the Last Known Good Configuration Option. Can you access Safe Mode?

Edit: And welcome to BC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#3 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

When I press f8 initially it does nothing. Pressing it a second time it makes a long beeping noise. If I press any key after that it makes a shorter beeping noise. I don't see the normal prompt that allows me to access safe mode.

#4 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Update: If I press the escape key after the option to access the start up menu is gone, it takes me to the windows boot manager. It says

Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool.  

- HP Recovery Manager

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press f8.

- Tools: windows memory diagnostic

If I select HP recovery manager, the screen goes black.

If I press f8, the screen goes black.

If I select windows memory diagnostic, I get the following message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem, 

1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. choose your language settings and click next.

3. click "repair your computer"

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. 

file: \boot\memtest.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I don't have an installation disc that I know of.

Edited by slvy9, 20 August 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

If you need to pull files off the drive you can download the Hirens iso and burn to disk. During the boot select MiniXP. You need to have the USB flash or external drive attached during boot so Hirens can detect it. Unfortunately, the only way to do a system restore in Vista is with an install disk.

#6 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

I burned the hirens iso to a disk. Can you link me to a tutorial or give me some instructions on how to use the disk to pull files off the drive? After inserting the cd and restarting the laptop it still didn't do anything but go black.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

When the computer starts to boot with the Hirens disk tap F9. This should give you the option to boot from the optical drive. How did you burn the iso? In Windows 7 you would right click and select burn disk image.

If that does not work create a bootable flash drive with the Hirens iso using Rufus. Select MBR for a partition scheme. In the dropdown box that shows FreeDos select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the Hirens iso file. Press Start. Any files currently on the flash drive should be backed up. Attach the USB flash drive, reboot and tap F9.

If Hirens still refuses to boot then use a small linux distro called Puppy. You can download it here.

Burn the iso file and boot Puppy or use Rufus. Your hard drive will show up in the lower left as sda. It will be labeled sda1...sda2 and so on depending on the number of partitions on the drive. Clicking once on the hard drive icon will mount the drive and open the File Manager. If you have more than one partition and you do not see your files close the Window and select another partition. In Puppy you only need to click on an folder once to open it. Attach a USB flash or external drive. You will see a USB icon appear next to the optical drive icon when you attach it. Clicking once on the USB icon will open up another File Manager. Highlight files/folders on the hard drive by left clicking while holding the Ctrl key or by windowing around the icons. Drag the highlighted icons from the HDD File Manager to the USB File Manager. A small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select move and check the Quiet button.

This guide is for an earlier version of puppy but it is still helpful.

#8 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it. I was able to get my computer to boot with Hirens and opened MiniXP. What steps should I take after that to  recover data on the drive?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, if you do not have install media of Vista then there is not much that can be done. About the only thing you can try is to replace the registry hives and hope it solves the problem. Personally I would dump Vista Basic,about the worst OS there is and put something like a linux distro. Ubuntu or Mint is good. If this is the specs of your computer, then linux would run rings around Vista Basic. You can boot a live linux disk to test it and see if it suits your needs. No need to install linux. That being said

With Hirens go to the following folder. Windows/System32/config

Rename the 5 registry Hives

System to System.bak

SAM to SAM.bak

Default to Default.bak

Software to Software.bak

Security to Security.bak

Browse to Windows/System32/config/regback and copy the 5 registy hives then paste them to Windows/System32/config  

Exit out of Hirens and reboot. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Another thing is to take the computer to a dark room and shine a light on the screen. If you see something on the screen then it's possible the backlight has failed. If possible, connect an external monitor.

#10 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Nvm I figured it out. I didn't realize the files were all right there once I opened MiniXP lol.  I was able to successfully recover the files I needed. Thanks again for your help!

#11 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

I have a new question. Since I'm able to see all the files and programs that were on my computer before the windows update failed, do you think it's still possible to restore my system with any of that info?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

None that I know of. You really need to get a Vista Install disk and hope that using System Restore would help. Did you try the method in my post #9?

#13 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

Yeah I just attempted the method in post #9. It doesn't seem to have changed anything when I try to start up.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Then your only option would be to get a Vista install disk 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS and use it to try doing both a System and Startup Repair. Your other option, if you have an intact recovery partition, is to do a factory reset to bring the computer back to date of purchase but all your installed programs would be gone. You would also need to do your Windows updates again. Do you have Microsoft Office installed on this computer? There is a way to recover the office key offline.

For hp you can access the recovery partition manager by tapping F11 at boot.

#15 slvy9

slvy9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Yeah I have office. How can I recover the key?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users