Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can 2 RAM's of different bandwidth (MHz) work together

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SachinNaik

SachinNaik

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

I have a DDR2 1 GB RAM installed into my system and it's bandwidth is 266 MHz now I am planning to insert another 1 GB RAM with a different bandwidth this RAM has 400 MHz. So can I have 2 RAM's of different bandwidth? But their size is same i.e 1 GB.

My motherboard supports upto 4GB DDR2 RAM of 600 to 800 MHz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

Is the other stick DDR2 as well?

If so, this probably will work (unless they have different timings) but both sticks will operate at the lower speed (the 266 MHz) since they are different speeds.

I would strongly recommend getting a stick from the same manufacturer and model if you are adding another stick.

Edited by gigawert, 20 August 2015 - 09:01 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 SachinNaik

SachinNaik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

@gigawert
The new one which I am trying to install is also DDR2 but it is 400MHz.

Also tell me whether the bandwidth makes a lot of difference. Isn't it only the size which has to make the difference? Or is it both?

Also note the manufacturer of my old RAM is no more available.

Edited by SachinNaik, 20 August 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Since those sticks are pretty cheap you could probably get 2 sticks of 2 GB DDR2 that are 800 MHz. Yes, it is both.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 SachinNaik

SachinNaik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

No sorry I can't afford for 2GB. But I can afford for 1GB only.

So please tell me whether both the RAMs will work together and if yes then will they increase my speed at least by 50%.Currently I don't have any speed problem with my Windows 7 ultimate it's only when I do my Windows update I do encounter speed problems.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

You may run into compatibility problems IF the two sticks do not have the same timings. May want to take it out and see if the timing matches with the new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users