Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reducing Microsoft's spy capabilities in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

I discovered this software package today: http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/update It seems do a pretty good job of allowing you to turn off various spy features that Microsoft has implemented in Windows 10 (as well as some other recent versions).  They are a Microsoft Gold partner so they are quite reputable.  Since it's freeware it's worth giving it a shot.  It seems quite easy to use and covers most of the bases that have been brought up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I like the fact that even if the page is set in English, it comes out in German.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

This is from their page.....both the download links below lead to essentially the same spot.....

Worth a try !! Simply create a RESTORE POINT BEFORE You Try It.

Protect your privacy in Windows 10 – Free!

O&O Software’s freeware O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by making recommendations and giving tips for which unwanted functions should be deactivated. And should you change your mind later on, e.g. giving the personal assistant Cortana a try, all changes can be reverted with a single click.

Download now – no install, no crapware

Download O&O ShutUp10 free from our Website. O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free (freeware) and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC (portable). And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

Decide for yourself how important your “comfort” is when weighed up with your privacy and how to protect it. O&O ShutUp10 presents you with all important settings in one location – you need no previous IT knowledge and there is no need to manually change the Windows 10 system settings.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10?utm_source=ooblog&utm_medium=oolink&utm_content=DownloadButton&utm_campaign=social

https://blog.oo-software.com/en/windows-10-cannot-phone-home-anymore

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

I wonder how long before Microsoft issues takedown notices for some of this software because they say it violates their Services Agreement.

vi. Don’t circumvent any restrictions on access to or availability of the Services.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

and....as Msradell said....

ra6b6r.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I completely missed that.  :blush:

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

No need for blush.....that was not my intention.......I simply point it out because the whole privacy issue appears to be taking on gargantuan proportions....we now have corporations putting out Free programs etc to combat the perceived intrusions.....and some of those corporations are Gold App developers and Partners etc etc....

It should make for an extremely interesting time ahead....Will msft throw bricks at some of the most trusted names in the business(in the form of takedown notices)......or will they listen to the general public(for the first time in their existence).....lots of questions....lots of contradictions.....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

Does this "O&O ShutUp10" do anything more than the settings which Windows 10 provides during custom installation? I saw a screenshot of the settings screen elsewhere, which is why I'm asking. Here it is - links in the first post by IBK http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10.377924/page-3

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

You don't have access to a lot of settings during the initial Windows 10 configuration. You have a lot to disable/enable after it via the Registry and local Group Policy Objects.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

Does this software accomplish more than a personal analysis of your privacy settings, as out lined here?

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

What I find stupid in the guide you posted is that it disable Cloud protection and also the uploading of unknown samples to Microsoft. This doesn't benefit the user at all since Microsoft will have less data to upgrade/update Windows Defender and make it more efficient. This is one stupid move to do to be honest.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

Here's what the program changes when you apply all settings: (all green)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64401-App-O-amp-O-ShutUp10/page2?p=1126120&viewfull=1#post1126120

MDL Forum, don't judge me :hysterical: .

Spoiler

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 August 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

MDL Forums have good stuff in it, it's just that it doesn't condemn piracy, counterfeit software, etc. Also, you don't even need to use the GUI anymore now if you have the batch file.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users