Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Intel HD 5500 simply not handle HBOGo (Dell Inspiron)?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 schweinhundert

schweinhundert

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

I had an old Dell Inspiron laptop from 2009, and while my internet connection is plenty good, the computer simply couldn't render the Flash video from HBOGo at full framerate. "Well, it's old", I thought, and bought a brand new Inspiron with Intel i7 / HD 5500 graphics. Not gaming or anything, but I figured that 5 or 6 years in the meantime would make Intel HD graphics able to render Flash video sites like HBOGo.

Well, not so much. The framerate dives during high-motion segments of the video. The CPU sits at 25%, which given that it has hyperthreading seems suspiciously like the cpu is railed. This is with hardware acceleration either on or off on Flash settings; didn't seem to matter. I have Windows 10 with the most recent Intel HD drivers (10.18.15.4256). Youtube and Netflix appear to play just fine, though I use HTML5 on Youtube and I think (?) Netflix uses Silverlight.

I contacted Dell support about this, and after running the same diagnostics I did and checking the driver version they said that maybe HBO has corrupt video. I ... haven't contacted HBO about that. I'm guessing it's on my end.

tldr: Can my laptop play HBOGO or is it just hopeless?

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7548)

15.6 inch Full HD Touchscreen Laptop: 1920x1080

5th Gen Core i7-5500U Processor

1Tb Hard Drive

8GB Memory

Backlit Keyboard

802.11 AC

Bluetooth 4.0

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic