Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows detected a hard disk problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nicker

Nicker

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have been getting a pop up window the the message Windows Detected a hard disk problem.  There are two choices.  Start the backup process and ask me again later.  There is the option to show details.  When I show details, It says:

Immediate Steps:

Because a hard drive failure will cause you to lose all of your programs, files and documents on this disk, you should back up your important information immediately.  Try not to use your computer until you have repaired or replaced the hard disk. 

Which  disk is failing?

The following hard disks are reporting failure:

Disk Name: KINGSTON SMSM150S324G

Volume: Unknown

My laptop had been getting very slow at shutting down and a restarting.  I was also having to restart anytime I wanted to use any of the USB ports as the plug and play would not recognize I had plugged anything in.  I had to restart with the peripheral plugged in.  Frequently when the laptop was shutting down I would get a blue screen with an error message that I cannot remember right now.  I was waiting for Windows 10 to release and then I had planned to reformat to see if that solved any of my issues.  Once I upgraded to Windows 10, I reformatted the laptop and immediately installed Kaspersky Antivirus when I got the laptop up and running.  The first time the pop appeared was when I logged in to the computer after it restarted after a Windows update.  Before today, I only got he pop after Windows updated.  Today I have gotten the pop up at one random time and once after installing a program (SMART Notebook).  I have not been having issues with the laptop.  The USB ports now seem to be working fine and the shutting down and restarting seem to be happening without incidence.  I went in to my device manager says my hard disk is fine.  I ran a chkdsk from the command prompt as an administrator on both the OS and the data partitions of the hard disk and they both showed no errors.  I downloaded Malwarebytes and it did not find anything.  I also ran adwcleaner.  The other thing that could be totally coincidental, but certainly suspicious, is that I have gotten a phone call from "Microsoft Technical something or other.." and they noticed that my computer has had some suspicious activity and could be compromised and they were asking me if I have been having any problems...I hang up on them and they called back the next day but I wasn't even home..... So.... I don't know if I have a hard drive issue or not.

NIcker

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 August 2015 - 05:45 PM.
Moved to 'Internal hardware' from 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hi there,

We can test the aforementioned hard drive to see if it's failing - usually Windows' hard drive failure message is legit. As for the "Microsoft Technical something or other" phone call, that's definitely a scam.

GSmartControl

Please download GSmartControl and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip to a folder, double-click on gsmartcontrol.exe
  • A list of hard drives will appear, single-click each disk to see Drive Information and identify your drive
    note: most machines will only have one or two entries, but an easy way to identify your drive is by its size.
  • Double-click on the hard drive to see detailed Device Information
  • Click on the Attributes tab, do you see any red or pink entries like the ones below? Please list the names in your next reply if there are any.
    info_failing.png
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab
  • Select Extended Self-Test and click Execute
    note: this test can take several hours to run
  • Allow the test to complete, the results will be displayed at the bottom
Please post screenshots of three tabs: Perform Tests, Attributes and Self-test Logs in your next reply.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

Further... the pop up box has a red circle with an white x in the upper left corner and beside it it says Microsoft Windows  under that there is a larger red circle with a white x in it that has the Windows detected a hard disk problem.. 

#4 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Yeah he didn't like it when I said bull poop to him...

#5 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

Well I believe I have my answer.  My drive shows up as red and the overall health assessment says failed!  

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

Alexstraza's suggestion is excellent but as a first step before you try doing any tests on the drive(s) I recommend you backup your data to some form of external storage.

Your own data - work, music, photos, etc. - is the only critical component on your computer. To replace a computer only costs money, to restore an OS and your applications is mostly just tedious. If you lose your data - it is lost. It is sometimes possible to recover data from a dead hard drive but it can be very expensive.

In view of your most recent post - back up your data ASAP !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

It's all backed up.  Like I said I just did a complete reformat so it was already backed up.  I am wondering though, and I should maybe know this, but I don't.

My hard drive is 1TB+24G(SSD)... The report I have here only refers to the 24 Gig... so what does that mean for me?

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

Do you mean that only the SSD (24G) shows up in GSmartControl, or is it something else?

#9 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

Cannot run extended self test...Device open failed, or device did not IDENTIFY DEVICE Stucture

#10 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

That was the one that is red.  I also find my Seagate Momentus SpinPoint M8  Which is the 1 TB.  That one passes the overall health assessment.

#11 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

The extended test is running on the seagate now... the attributes showed some prefailue stuff too

Edited by Nicker, 20 August 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#12 Nicker

Nicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

I tried to run the extended test twice.  It aborted at 20% both times.  Why can't something something as simple as pasting a screen shot even work for me?  I do the print screen and I can't paste it.  I even tried through the little clipboards above.  I can paste text but not images..

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi there,

You will need to upload your images to a hosting service such as Imgur, then copy and paste the link with the IMG tag here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users