Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 camE

camE

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

so my girlfriends computer is a lenovo running windows 8.1 and when you first start it it says preparing automatic repair then comes to a screen that says automatic repair at the top and says Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC and says i can shut it down or go to advanced options. Also it says "Log file: C:\windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt" When i go to advanced options it gives me the following options: "Continue: Exit and continue to windows 8.1", "Use a device: Use dvd or usb to recover windows", "Troubleshoot", And "Turn off your PC" 

When i go to continue it reboots and and goes back to the automatic repair screen i mentioned before.

Also i have tried to restore from a previous backup and that doesnt work.

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hmm I don't know what to say since im not familier with the Lenovo brand of computers. It sounds the computer had a issue and someone tried to repair it but I never heard of the automatic repair option before.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hmm I don't know what to say since im not familier with the Lenovo brand of computers. It sounds the computer had a issue and someone tried to repair it but I never heard of the automatic repair option before.

Windows 8.1 will automatically invoke a repair if it recognizes the need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

@camE

What is the model of this Lenovo?

Does your friend have all of her important data backed up?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 camE

camE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Im not sure. Probably not but she said its nothing too important

and its the 

Lenovo Yoga 2 (11in)

#6 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

I just saw this exact issue the other day ona new yoga 2. Sounds like a bad hard drive. Can you try getting to the safe mode of the yoga 2 to check the event viewer? It sounds like its at least going to be a reinstall of windows.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#7 camE

camE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

I just saw this exact issue the other day ona new yoga 2. Sounds like a bad hard drive. Can you try getting to the safe mode of the yoga 2 to check the event viewer? It sounds like its at least going to be a reinstall of windows.

i can get to cmd what do i need to run?

#8 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

It's a bit different on Windows 8.1 systems before you could just use F8 key. Some still have been able to with this key and using shift simultaneously.

Shift + F8 key multiple times

In cmd you can key in this:

2830121.png

Hope this helps

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

In the BIOS of that Lenovo there is a hard disk test.

Use the instructions here to use this test.

#10 camE

camE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

It's a bit different on Windows 8.1 systems before you could just use F8 key. Some still have been able to with this key and using shift simultaneously.

Shift + F8 key multiple times

In cmd you can key in this:

2830121.png

Hope this helps

I ran this and it completed successfully

#11 camE

camE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

In the BIOS of that Lenovo there is a hard disk test.

Use the instructions here to use this test.

i cant find the right iso the only one i can find is for linux. Can you please link me?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

You will want to open your browser and select your desktop as the location to download to so you will be able to find the ISO image easily.

Click on this link and the download will automatically begin.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a disc to create a bootable disc.  If you are using a computer with Windows 7 or 8.1 use the instructions below.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

My wife has been very ill requiring daily treatment at a clinic an hour and a half away.  My time here has been very limited because of this.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users