Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tuckerfan

tuckerfan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2004 - 03:07 PM

Ive been having a couple of problems with my Internet connection lately.

Im not sure if they're related..

Im on a network (LAN) w/ a linksys router. Running WinXP. If theres anything else you need to know just ask...

The first problem is that sometimes I will get a "network cable is unplugged" message. To solve it, I shut down the computer, and disconnect and reconnect the cable and everything is ok.. (The green light at the back of the computer where the cable connects goes off when I get the unplugged error..so its my guess that its either a network card or cable issue...

The second happens sporadically, and I dont seem to know whats causing it. While Im connected to the router and the physical connection seems ok, I cant seem to receive any packets (I can send them though), thus no internet connection. I can ping the router fine as well...just cant connect to any other site like yahoo. This has happened a few times before and seems to automatically fix itself over time (sometimes days)...I dont do any one thing in particular to get it fixed. I tried releasing and renewing the IP , repairing the connection, but nothing seems to work, or at least not immediately. I can give you specific configurations if you ask (dont know what to provide here)...

Just wondering if there's anything I can do or try to fix the second problem and if these two problems could possibly be related (faulty network card?)..

Thanks for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:26 AM

When these problems occur does resetting the router fix it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users