Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of signing in?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Now I have Win 10 I have to sign in every time I start and after any updates are installed and the restart. I didn't need this on XP nor Win 7 and not now on Win 10.

I supposed I made a mistake on the Win 10 update setting it up - perhaps I could have skipped that part.

Advice please - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Hi zzzz :)

You can enable an "Auto-login" feature under Windows 10, however, it's quite risky if you use a Microsoft Account and you get infected by a malware. Here's the procedure if you are interested.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for that. I'll check that out.

I see in Sign in options that there is no option to not sign in. It does say though 'If you've been away when should Windows require you to sign in? And I have Never in that so being away for 1 day seems not long enough!

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Re the malware risk  - what difference could it make whether there is a MS password or not - does malware care? If the malware comes when I am using the computer the password is already activated,  which is the same as having no password at that point, no?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,680 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

In order to enable the auto-login, you need to add your password in the Registry. Some malware could easily steal that information (along with the Microsoft account username that you enter) and therefore steal your account.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

Right, bad news then. During my 10 years of XP and Win 7 days on a number of computers I never had a sign in so perhaps I've been lucky? With no username/password there can be no theft of them but I guess that's not helpful, eh?

Does Win 10 require an account? I seem to have seen a statement, "If you have an account......"

So I should alter my habit but it's a pain accessing some things when I need to receive a phone call from MS to get a code to enter - even the password is not enough!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,680 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

Even Windows XP required an account to login. If you want, you can use a Local account instead of a Microsoft account under Windows 10 (same for Windows 8 and 8.1), however you will loose some features like Cortana.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users