Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some K/B Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

Master of the keyboard: The Windows-logo key

Arguably the most powerful key on the Windows keyboard is the one with the Windows logo embossed on it — commonly referred to as the Winkey. As you’ll see below, combining that key with another lets you do many useful things. (Note: Most of the following are simple two-key combos; unless specifically shown, they’re not Winkey + Shift + [letter].)

• Winkey + A – Opens the Action Center, giving quick access to the Windows Notification bar. (It’s new to Win10.)
  • Winkey + B – Sets focus on the Show hidden icons icon in the taskbar. (In Win8, this combo switched to the Desktop from the Metro Start Screen.)
  • Winkey + C – Opens Cortana in listening mode, if you have Microsoft’s AI assistant enabled. (Previously, this opened Win8’s Charms menu.)
  • Winkey + D – Displays and hides all open applications on the desktop. (In Win8, this combo toggled between Desktop and Start screen.)
  • Winkey + E – Opens File Explorer — as it has in previous Windows versions.
  • Winkey + H – Opens the Share charm. (I bet you didn’t know that Win10 has remnants of the Win8 charms bar.)
  • Winkey + I – Opens the Settings panel.
  • Winkey + K – Opens the wireless connection panel to quickly connect to wireless devices such as printers, Bluetooth, mice, keyboards, and others.)
  • Winkey + L – Locks the PC and returns you to the sign-in screen; it’s also a quick way to switch accounts.
  • Winkey + M – Minimizes all open windows.
  • Winkey + Shift + M – Restores minimized windows on desktop.
  • Winkey + O – Locks device orientation on tablets and some laptops.
  • Winkey + P – Offers quick access to Project mode, letting you choose a presentation mode for projectors or second monitors.
  • Winkey + R – Opens the Run dialog box. If you type “cmd” there, you’ll open a command-prompt window. (Win10 has new commands; more on that below.)
  • Winkey + S – Opens the search-bar window, where you can change search settings and enable/disable Cortana. If location services are switched on, items such as nearby restaurants, movie times, and other local events will appear. (This is new in Win10.)
  • Winkey + T – Cycles through apps on the taskbar, starting with the left-most app.
  • Winkey + U – Opens the Ease of Access Center; if your sound is on, you’ll hear an audible assistant (Narrator) introduce available functions. Otherwise, just click your selection.
  • Winkey + V – Cycles through notifications if you have any pending; if none, this combo does nothing.
  • Winkey + X – Opens the Quick Link menu in the lower-left corner of the desktop. (This menu can also be opened by right-clicking the Start button.)

Other Winkey shortcuts for editing/navigation

Some of Win10’s new features have accompanying key combos. For example:

Winkey + Tab opens Task view, which displays large thumbnails of all open applications. Alt + Tab performs a similar function.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/why-is-the-internet-slow-and-costly-in-the-u-s/#story6

Edited by Drew1903, 20 August 2015 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Drew, when you copy/paste content from another website, you need to credit the author and also link to the website/webpage you copy/pasted this from. In this case, it's this one:

http://windowssecrets.com/best-practices/windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts-from-a-to-x/

Also when I look at it, this is more of an article then anything else. In that case, you need to quote a bit of it, and then redirect the users to the website by posting the URL.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

Rule #.1....do as Aura says

Rule # 2....refer to rule # 1

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

Rule #.1....do as Aura says

Rule # 2....refer to rule # 1

More like just standard fare anywhere.  What had been missed was done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users