Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to remove rootkit

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dfakt

dfakt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hi from Australia, sadly about a week ago due to an incompetent roommate with 10,000 adware/spyware programs running and wanting uPnP turned on for the router(and open port for CCTV viewing) so he had to do no manual configuration.. He's very stuck in an old mindset.
Somehow we have all picked up a very very persistent rootkit, its gotten into the router and I'm currently in the progress of re-configuring a new D-Link one.. this has brang me to the point of nearly giving up! But I'm slowly getting it done..

Basically I've brought a new 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB WD Blue, Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING-3, even a new Generic DVD RW.. I'll be re-adding my old Vengance 1633Mhz DDR3 2x4GB Dual Channel, ASUS Radeon R9 270X and an Intel i5-4590k(from old PC).. I'll be using an fresh, retail windows 8.1 64bit setup disc.. So! -- Will the parts im migrating across 'likely' be rid of rootkit memory (I know its sometimes a guessing game)  ..and as I still have to fix the router, any tips or links to tips for what to do first in an initial build setup to secure yourself as well as possible.

Definitely (after this happening to me/our home network for the first time ever) considering buying a malware bytes, etc, license.

Thanks for anyone's time in response.

- Matt
(Will subscribe to thread for replies of course!)

P.S Not that it matters but for information sake, The PSU is an Antec Gamer 520W Gold, Antec One case.. I've also brought an external HDD/SSD USB3 enclosure so I can possibly after this computer is solid, completely fix all my other infected HDD's with it! (Hot-swappable!)

Edited by dfakt, 20 August 2015 - 08:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users