Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best choice AV to work well with Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SonyStereo

SonyStereo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Ok I read some of the forum topics here, and seems some don't recommend AVG much.

It's what been most familiar  with lately. After a reformat MSE was installed for me. Not familiar with it at all.

If I decide to switch from AVG to say avast Esoft or Bit Defender   which one of these will work best or least likely have false positives like AVG does with MSE as decided to  keep and continue malwarebytes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:57 AM

...After a reformat MSE was installed for me. Not familiar with it at all..

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. MSE was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software. Microsoft later extended the use of MSE to anyone for personal use and to small business owners.

If MSE is installed, you should not be using AVG or any other anti-virus solution. See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic.

...If I decide to switch from AVG to say avast Esoft or Bit Defender which one of these will work best or least likely have false positives like AVG does with MSE as decided to keep and continue malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

These are typically the files in various operating systems which can be added to your anti-virus exclusion list when experiencing issues using the Premium version of Malwarebytes 2.x.

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude mbam.exe, mbamservice.exe and mbamresearch.exe from it as well.

Note: Once the above is done, make sure that if either of the programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

You may also need to check your anti-virus user manual for specific instructions on how to add files to the exclusion list if not familiar with adding files. Most anti-virus vendors post user manuals on their web site which can be downloaded and saved. This FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

#4 SonyStereo

SonyStereo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:13 AM

I'm leaning more to switching to either avast Esoft or Bitdefender instead of AVG and MSE. Just wondering which of those 3 would work best with malwarebytes.  I've used Esoft for shortt bit in a way.  Just trying to determine which one might be best suitable to go with malwarebytes. Or maybe try out all 3 until find one prefer.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:24 AM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

All the anti-virus programs noted above work well with Malwarebytes.

#6 SonyStereo

SonyStereo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

Thank you for all that info. Eaxctly what been looking for.

Now I got to decide between malwarebytes which im used to and Emsisoft which unfamiliar with.

Is it possible to try Emsisoft for a bit before getting rid of malwarebytes in order to decide which I prefer best?

Eset is the AV I will buy next then.

I've used it a bit previously before.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, at any time during the trial enabled period, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just use it as on-demand scanner only. Once the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

#8 SonyStereo

SonyStereo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Really starting to like EMSIsoft

One question why would a program try to access disk directly?

Is there any programs where this might be legimately required or no program should ever want to do it?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

Can you be more specific?

#10 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thank you for all that info. Eaxctly what been looking for.

Now I got to decide between malwarebytes which im used to and Emsisoft which unfamiliar with.

Is it possible to try Emsisoft for a bit before getting rid of malwarebytes in order to decide which I prefer best?

Eset is the AV I will buy next then.

I've used it a bit previously before.

You can use Emsisoft as an antivirus, malware is a term that refers to all nasties including virus's. Its a bit different then Malwarebytes which is to be used to supplement an antivirus. Emsisoft is also designed to run alongside another anitvirus program, however in my opinion thats overkill. You could run MBAM, Emsisoft and Eset together but again I think its overkill. A combination of Eset and MBAM or Emsisoft and MBAM would provide very good protection, you could also add exploit protection such as Malwarebytes Anti Exploit. I run Emsisoft. MBAM and MBAE along with Appguard, in my opinion its more than enough protection.

Edited by digmor crusher, 21 August 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

Emsisoft FAQs: Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"? <- scroll down

Our analysis lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2012). Referring to our product as an "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" when naming our product. "Malware" includes all types of threats, such as viruses (0.5%), rogue security software (0.5%), rootkits (1.0%), adware (2.7%), possible malicious applications (4.1%), worms (4.6%), financial malware & password stealers (5.3%), online gaming password stealers (6.9%), backdoors (13.3%) and trojans (61.3%). Please note that not all "Anti-Malware" products on the market include the same functionality and protection level.

#12 SonyStereo

SonyStereo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

When tried to update dvdfab  EMSIsoft had notification that program was trying to access local hard disk

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

I am not familiar with that program. You should check with the Emsisoft Support Team or ask in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Customer Support Forum.

#14 SonyStereo

SonyStereo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

its a dvd blu ray copy ripping editing software program

i bought it last year

now when i reinstalled it and tried to update it reinstalls clean but when update  it first says in EMSI that a program is trying to access local disk drive... then if say allow  then says program trying to change other programs or something like that   which blocked 

starting to think might not be a trustworthy company unless there'sa legit reason  needs to write to local disk

Edited by SonyStereo, 23 August 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

That's why you need to contact Emsisoft so they can check it out...sounds like the program's behavior is being detected as suspicious activity, therefore it is blocked.

The DVDFab site looks legit and the program is available for download at reputable third-party hosting sites like MajorGeeks and Softpedia. The solution could be as simple as setting exclusions for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users