Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP replacement - again :-)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 alamanjani

alamanjani

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hope you don't mind if I start another forum. I have specific requirements and data so my post question differ a little bit from what was already posted or asked:

I need to revive old computer that is quite weak. It needs to be simple, since it's owner is 85 years old.

My first go to OS is usually Mint Xfce since I like and understand Mint the best. Computer is too slow.

My next OS then is LXLE. Computer works fast enough with LXLE (yay!) but I can't get sound to work.

I tried PcLinuxOS - but I had some problems, some stuff didn't work and it was too slow.

I tried Mint Mate and Mint LMDE2 Mate and yes they are a little too slow

I tried Antix, 3 different versions, 14, 15 and none would work on this computer. Can't even boot into live sessions - I'm not sure what is wrong.

I'm affraid to go outside of Debian and Ubuntu space, I never ever tried anything else, I'm affraid I may not be albe to set it up in Fedora, Slackware and other areas.... Puppy linux is different, not Debian based for example. I'm not sure I can make it work.

So what are my options? I really like LXLE, it is gorgeous, easy, simple and it works fast enough. But I tried every hack I found on the internet and I could not get sound to work. I'm beginner in Linux space. All I can do is follow some easy steps I find on the internet. I don't know how to look under the hood, how to mess with the drivers, compailing... that's way beyond my beginner knowledge.

So what other light weight (and simple & easy) distros you guys are suggesting I could try?

P.s.

Went to LXLE forum to ask about sound problem, and I can't even register to the forum. You need some kind of invitation code to be able to join to be able to post and ask a question?!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

First up can we have your PC specs?

Puppy linux is different, not Debian based for example. I'm not sure I can make it work.

Try this. Download it burn the ISO to CD or USB. Puppy linux runs from ram so is super fast.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

#3 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:24 AM

Try this. Download it burn the ISO to CD or USB. Puppy linux runs from ram so is super fast.

Thank you BC Advisor. I will be away from that computer next day or so I will post specs after that.

Oh Puppy is Ubuntu based? OK, I guess I will have to try Puppy Linux :-) I will download it and give it a try

I hope this is not the one that wants to be on CD/USB only? I need to be able to install it on HDD, put in pictures, videos...

If I understand you corectly, I should download this one:

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso  ?

Edited by alamanjani, 20 August 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hi alamanjani, I note that you have been a member since February, hope someone took the time to say :welcome: to BC, and to Linux.

Regarding Puppy, although Australia's Barry Kauler designed it to be run from removable media, most versions can be fully installed to the hard drive.

There is plenty of Puppy expertise around here to help (not me, I might add, although soon, perhaps).

Back on the LXLE for a moment - can you tell me the name of the ISO used to install, eg it might  be something like lxle-12045.iso ?

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

If I understand you corectly, I should download this one:

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso  ?

Yes try that one first if it don't work then try the NO PAE one.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

@alamanjani  "P.s.

Went to LXLE forum to ask about sound problem, and I can't even register to the forum. You need some kind of invitation code to be able to join to be able to post and ask a question?!?"

You should be able to join that forum, you might want to try it out again.  You might have to install LXLE to get the sound issue fixed.

If you are still having issues - and you seem to like Mint, then try out Mint xfce-13.  This might work out with a old, low spec computer, and whatever makes it easy to get you up and running.  I tried it out compared to all the other Mint distro's, and it ran on very low resources, even lower than the other Mint-13's!  There are some issue with the Repositories though, and it is not shown at the xfce Release site, it is shown here though: http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php

Remove the Medibuntu repository

At the time of release, Linux Mint 13 was designed to use the Medibuntu software repository. This repository was discontinued since and is no longer active.

You will therefore get warning and error messages complaining about it when installing software or updating packages.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions:http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Sorry for late reply I was gone.

inxi -Fxz
----------------------------------------------------------
System:    Host: mint-xfce Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: Gateway product: DX310S version: 54.10121.031
           Mobo: MicroStar model: MS-7248R version: A-13 Bios: Phoenix version: W7248AG2 1.0K date: 05/16/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium D CPU (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 10639.7
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2659.920 MHz 2: 2659.920 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200/1100] bus-ID: 01:05.0
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RC410 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic

Maybe graphic card is too weak:

inxi -G
-------------------------
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200/1100]
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,ati,radeon (unloaded: fglrx,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A

I will later today or this weekend install Puppy and will try few other things

#8 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

deleted, duplicate post

Edited by alamanjani, 21 August 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#9 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Back on the LXLE for a moment - can you tell me the name of the ISO used to install, eg it might  be something like lxle-12045.iso ?

Thank you for the welcome. Yes latest 32 bit, 12.04.5

I'm thinking to install it one more time (since it otherwise worked so well) and to try with previous version.

#10 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

@alamanjani  "P.s.

Went to LXLE forum to ask about sound problem, and I can't even register to the forum. You need some kind of invitation code to be able to join to be able to post and ask a question?!?"

You should be able to join that forum, you might want to try it out again.  You might have to install LXLE to get the sound issue fixed.

If you are still having issues - and you seem to like Mint, then try out Mint xfce-13.  This might work out with a old, low spec computer, and whatever makes it easy to get you up and running.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions:http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469.

pcpunk, thanks for the idea, yes Mint 13 is also supported until 2017 so why not. And thanks for the link how to solve repositories issue. Will try to register at LXLE forum again, but I tried few times and entry form is designed to enter invitation code and it does not let you to continue unless proper one is entered. I tried to make one up lol

About LXLE, it was installed on HDD, not live DVD

I may try previous version also

#11 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

Thank you all for help and ideas

To do list for this weekend:

- try out Puppy (first PAE then non PAE)

- try Mint 13 Xfce

- install again latest LXLE (who knows, next time may work :)  )

- try previous version of LXLE

... and still open for any other suggestions :-)

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

pcpunk, thanks for the idea, yes Mint 13 is also supported until 2017 so why not. And thanks for the link how to solve repositories issue. Will try to register at LXLE forum again, but I tried few times and entry form is designed to enter invitation code and it does not let you to continue unless proper one is entered. I tried to make one up lol

About LXLE, it was installed on HDD, not live DVD

I may try previous version also

I might get some flak for suggesting MInt-13 lol, I won't name any names lol, but it uses so little resources I was amazed, and it seems this is an old pc.  And as you know mint is nice and easy to use.  

I seem to remember a little headache getting signed up at LXLE but you can do it if I can.

LXLE "WAS" installed, okay.  That's to bad because Al000 uses it and he is very sharp on all this linux stuff.  

Edited by pcpunk, 22 August 2015 - 10:40 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

You might PM him if you are still interested in doing that.

Do not PM him, Do it in open forum.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

I meant PM to link to this topic!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for the welcome. Yes latest 32 bit, 12.04.5

I'm thinking to install it one more time (since it otherwise worked so well) and to try with previous version.

Thanks for the info. Why I asked is that I tried I tried running that version last January on a Live USB disk I have that runs multiple isos, it didn't get past the first screen and I made myself a README note to prompt me to try another avenue. Which I promptly forgot about until yesterday, when I tried using Unetbootin for just the one distro - same outcome, get to a black screen with lines of warnings and errors and it hangs. Had to pull out the stick and reboot.

I meant PM to link to this topic!

Good call, punk :thumbup2: - I'm off to try it on a rewritable live DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users