Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe freezing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:00 AM

I just went back from a trip and when I opened my laptop, I noticed these:

• Everytime a program freezes, after a few seconds Explorer.exe freezes aswell along with the whole laptop.
  • If I leave my laptop unattended for about 10 to 20 minutes, the laptop freezes as soon as I use it.
  • msconfig shows half of non- Microsoft services as stopped, I never disabled these services as I have never touched msconfig until today.
  • I can't re-enable the "stopped" services.
  • Also in the General Tab in msconfig, the startup mode is stuck in Selective Startup, everytime I apply it to Normal mode and restart the laptop, it goes back to Selective start-up.

It could also be a malware I last got from an .scr file a month ago with no luck on even finding it.

Update: I realize the program themselves are the ones freezing Explorer.exe, I realized this after I opened a feature to open a certain file (Its safe, I made the file) it lagged until it stops responding, after a few more seconds Explorer.exe froze again but this time, after 10 seconds, it continued normally.

Is there anyway for me to check what is happening exactly with why the program is freezing and affecting Explorer.exe.

Edited by Andre_Castillo14, 20 August 2015 - 06:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

The first thing is to check for malware.  I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Once the the system is clean, if the freezing still persists, post back here for further assistance.

I'll get an email when you reply to this topic and will respond within 48 hours.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

The first thing is to check for malware.  I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Once the the system is clean, if the freezing still persists, post back here for further assistance.

I'll get an email when you reply to this topic and will respond within 48 hours.

Good luck!

Right now the problem doesn't occur anymore, it seems that the problem just suddenly go away. And regarding the malware-bit, I already made a topic in the Removal Logs(Wrong category lol). If I still need to do it as the one helping me hasn't been on for 5 days as he was waiting for me as-well, i'll  make another a new post in that forum link you gave me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users