Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to wifi in bedroom on only one device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 birgirfg

birgirfg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

I have a strange and unfortunate problem. I have a Netgear JWNR router located in my living room. The wifi there works well on my laptop, but as soon as I move over to the bedroom (not far away) I lose the signal and can't connect to the internet. The strange thing is that all other laptops or phones I've tried this with can easily connect to the wifi in there, it's just a problem with my computer. I have windows 10, but have tried it with another laptop running windows 10 and there was no problem.
This is really frustrating since my desk is in the bedroom and I need to have the internet there to study.

I have tried everything I could think of and nothing works, I would really appreciate some help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 birgirfg

birgirfg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:30 AM

I tried running a long ethernet cable to the bedroom and connecting the router there, now I get internet signal there but not in the living room so it seems like it is a problem with signal range or something like that, but I don't understand why it only happens with my laptop! Do you think buying a usb router would fix this problem for me?

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

Obviously this laptop doesn't want to go to bed with you =)

What is the make and model of the laptop with the issue?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

"ethernet cable to the bedroom and connecting the router there, now I get internet signal there but not in the living room"

Sounds like not a wifi issue or laptop issue but a cable issue.

Please tell us what equipment [type of internet, modem, router].  Review how you are cabled.  Internet goes to modem, modem to routers wan port [not a lan port!]

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Your router only supports 2.4ghz. Check the wireless band options on the laptop. If your router has dual band wireless the 2.5ghz network will have longer range then the 5ghz. Your 5ghz signal may be getting blocked by the bedroom wall. If your laptop only looks for 5ghz you will drop the signal.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users