Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wireless problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OmnisScio

OmnisScio

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:53 AM

My friend has requested that I help fix his laptop for him. He was unable to access admin abilities as he had forgotten the admin account password. 

I was able to fix this by reinstalling windows 7. It sounds like the extreme solution, but he was ok with it and suggested it in the first place. It didn't worry him that all the data would be lost (there wasn't much to begin with). 

The problem now is that I can't get the wireless working. The wireless is enabled, I pushed the button for it and there is an orange light on the computer that turns on and off with this button. I just can't see a list of networks when I click the icon in the tool tray. 

There is definitely a network to see as I am doing this in the same room as this computer that I'm using to write this post. 

The laptop is a Toshiba satellite L50 - B. 

I formatted the hard drive and installed windows 7 home premium 32 bit. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:18 AM

Did you install the device drivers from the manufacturers site?

Edited by TsVk!, 20 August 2015 - 03:20 AM.

#3 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

Are there mirrors for those links?  I try downloading them, but the download stops about 10 - 20 % of the way, claiming to have 'finished'. When I try to open it, it says it's empty.

I was trying to download the windows 7 32 bit Intel wireless lan driver.

It says it's 121 Mb while it's downloading, but then stops 10 or so minutes into it when it's downloaded about 14 - 24 Mb. 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

Have you installed the other essential drivers? (like chipset, graphics, LAN driver?) These are required for system stability as well as best performance.

You may have to download them from another machine.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:10 AM

TsVk!, the link you provided is not the manufactures site but a third party site. Here is the Tosiba site, but OmnisScio, you need to match the alphanumeric code after L50. I am not sure if this is the correct page.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#6 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yes is definitely happening because of driver issues, you should download Wireless LAN driver from official site.

I think from here you can download it. https://pc.toshiba-asia.com/sg/support/drivers/details/3036874

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

TsVk!, the link you provided is not the manufactures site but a third party site.

My bad... :axe:

#8 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

Where do I find the more specific name for the computer?  The most detailed name I can find is "Toshiba satellite L-50B".  I can't find anything with more letters and numbers after it. 

In the device manager, under other devices, there are eight items with yellow explanation mark icons on them:

Ethernet controller

Network controller

PCI device

PCI simple communications controller

SM bus controller

Universal serial bus (USB) controller

Unknown device

Video controller

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

I did not know this model was on toshiba's asian support site. Unfortunately the only drivers listed for Windows 7 on this computer is for 64bit so we will have to go through each and try to find the 32bit version. You may have trouble finding 32bit drivers for Toshiba specific devices though.

For every device with a yellow exclamation mark right click the device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line shown for each device.

#10 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

Ethernet controller                             - PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_F9201179&REV_OC

Network controller                             - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&SUBSYS_28A21B9A&REV_01

PCI device                                         - PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_5229&SUBSYS_F9201179&REV_01

PCI simple controller                         - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C3A&SUBSYS_F9201179&REV_01

SM bus controller                              - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C22&SUBSYS_F9201179&REV_04

universal serial bus (USB) controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31&SUBSYS_F9201179&REV_04

unknown device                                - ACPI\TOS6205

Video controller                                 - PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6900&SUBSYS_F9221179&REV_00

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

I have the first four. The 8086 Intel drivers may be harder to find but If we get internet up then it may be a matter of going to intel's site and downloading a utility. I would recommend if possible to obtain an 64bit Windows 7 disk. Your key will still work and you will get a better experience especially if you have more than 3GB or RAM as 32bit will not recognize more than that.

Ethernet

Vista and Server 2008 Auto Installation Program (SID:1743233)
    106.13    2015/8/18    6040k

Network Controller (Wireless)

Click the green download button and wait for the zip file to download. Unzip the files to a folder on the desktop. Delete all files with an X suffix.  Delete netathrx.inf, athrx.sys, and athrextx.cat  Open Device Manager and right click Network Controller. Select Update Driver > Have Disk. Point it to the folder you unzipped the files to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/97061-driver-install-device-manager.html

Pci Device (Card Reader)

Card reader

driver for XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1,Win10    V10.0.370.102    2015/7/22    13971k

universal serial bus (USB) controller  - USB 3.0  I am not sure if this driver will work because the only driver I found that was for your vendor and device ID was 64bit.

Edit: Your video controller is Toshiba specific AMD and I could only find 64bit drivers. Here is the latest 32bit driver from AMD but I cannot confirm if it will work. You should create a System Repair Disk and create a restore point before installing the drive. 

The unknown device is a bluetooth adapter. I have yet to find the driver for that. 

Here is  a webpage giving a link to the 32bit bluetooth driver.

For the SMB Controller download this utility and run it while connected to the internet.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 August 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#12 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

Thank you very much for the assistance.

I downloaded some of those things, and got a couple of the yellow exclamation mark devices to (presumably) move to a different category. Most importantly, I got the wireless networking to work. 

For future reference, how did you find those driver sites, and know which one to use?

Also, is it critical to get all of those yellow exclamation devices categorized?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

I went to PCIdatabase.com and inputted the device and vendor ID. What devices still have yellow exclamation marks? 

#14 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

The network and PCI device entries were the ones fixed, the others are still on the "other devices" list. 

At this point I've already given it back as I had done all that was asked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users