Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I use kaspersky/malware bytes...anything else I should do to stay safe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spiralnebula

Spiralnebula

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:06 AM

I stream on twitch, and I see a lot of people get hacked and curious if there's anything else I can do?

My kaspersky will run out soon, and I'm debating if it's worth paying for or should just use a free anti-virus.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

Here are a few articles to read: (none made by me)

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Here are links to polls about this very subject:

I(quietman7) use the following to supplement my anti-virus for additional security:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
How to detect vulnerable programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices by Quietman7

All credits of the post goes to quietman7.

Afterall, YOU are the weakest link of IT security.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 Spiralnebula

Spiralnebula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

alright thanks....that's a lot of stuff to read lol.

i can keep my computer clean and safe without buying anything? or buying software is needed to stay safe?

could I be infected and have no idea I'm infected? I use paypal/credit cards to buy stuff also, but none of it has been compromised since I've been using a computer. I usually knew what and what not to click.

I see a lot of people get DDOS while playing in tournaments, from some people just getting their skype contact info....

Edited by Spiralnebula, 20 August 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hi :)

alright thanks....that's a lot of stuff to read lol.

Hmmm, yeah. Little big ... Its better. Read the linked articles. They provide a lot of info. The tools listed there have a free version too (but,not having full functionality of paid ones, ofcourse)

To keep on top of security events, you should read more... :lol:

i can keep my computer clean and safe without buying anything? or buying software is needed to stay safe?

Its your choice.... But if you feel Kaspersky is okay, you can continue using it as an AV and firewall (depends on the product type)

If you have a lot of friends and family members accessing your machine carelessly (no offence, okay?), nothing will stop something from poping up someday.

There are a handfull of free security softwares for active protection, but no one single software will do the job round the clock. Avast, Bitdefender, AVG provide free Antivirus realtime protections  .

Antimalware suites like Malwarebytes Antimalware, Emsisoft antimalware provide on-demand protection free, ie runs when you open it and do a scan.

For firewall protection, Windows offers free one integrated to OS, but if you trust any thirdparty vendors more (like comodo, Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender,Avast etc) buy a suite.

Buying software is not necessarily needed to stay safe, if you are vigilant and use your commonsense at most situations. But it is necessary to have a firewall, Antivirus(realtime) and antimalware software.

could I be infected and have no idea I'm infected? I use paypal/credit cards to buy stuff also, but none of it has been compromised since I've been using a computer. I usually knew what and what not to click

No, its usually not the case, but rarely maybe. That applies rarely to end users unless attacker knows how to get back the investment made to compromise you. Targeted attacks are usually on companies, well known people etc.

Normally infected machines will have some odd behaviour, slow response, unnecessary popus, redirection, encryption of files etc.

Since you know what and what not to click, its a great leap.

Ref: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571813/how-to-secure-from-pop-ads-drop-down-ads-video-playing-etc/#entry3668719

WOT - Web of trust

Also beaware: no company like MS or your AV vendor will call you telling something is wrong with your machine out of cold. Such calls are usually scams just to exploit your lack of knowledge and panic.

Lastly, if you have sensitive data, be sure to look for the validity of site to which you login(URL,HTTPS secure label).

I see a lot of people get DDOS while playing in tournaments, from some people just getting their skype contact info....

DDOS can occur at user end may be due to bad server configs, legit traffic at high volume etc. Leaking of contact info may be due to infection, careless usage etc. Cannot specfy which may be the case in both.

Hope it helps. :)

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 20 August 2015 - 06:31 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

...i can keep my computer clean and safe without buying anything? or buying software is needed to stay safe?

An offer of free anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. The primary benefit of paid software is that most of them offer real-time protection while free versions are typically used as stand-alone scanners or to provide some behind the scene protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users