Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reconnecting HardDrives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mwieting

mwieting

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I have about 5 or 6 disk connected to my Server 2012. In Disk managment i had raided some of my HD's.  I had physicaly moved some of my drives in the server and added a drive. Now the disk dosen't show up. I tried to reactive the volume but it keeps telling me the volume is offline. I dont remeber how i had the drives connected and in what order. I do not want to lose my data. Any help would be apprciated!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

If you can't remember which order the drives were connected in and you can't risk loosing data. Pull the drives and send them for data recovery. Typically If the drives are not connected in their original configuration when the raid 5 was created the raid will fail. And your volumes will be unavailable..

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

Data recovery assumes no backups.  Being a server and a responsible admin there are backups.

You need to remove the added drive and put the drives back exactly as they were before. Then you can mark the drives so you know what is what before you add the new drive.

Seeing raid 5 and spanned disks is not comforting.  Spanning has no fault tolerance in case of drive failure.  Always make sure your backups are tested so you know they are good.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

I dont remeber how i had the drives connected and in what order. 

Putting the drives back in exactly as they were before is going to be a shell game at best. 

I do not want to lose my data. 

If he had backups, He wouldn't be concerned with loosing data. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

Good deductions. Everyone has to learn at least one memorable lesson the hard way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users