Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Repairing Windows 10 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kamelonu

Kamelonu

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

When I initially upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 everything seemed to be fine.

However, since then, I have lost some items on my quickstart bar in the bottom left of my screen as well as lost functionality of the windows bottom in the bottom left.

I can also no longer use chrome and it very difficult (if not impossible at times) to open the settings app to try to recover. 

Is anyone able to help me with this?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

To give more details on my attempts to reset, when I got to settings -> recovery -> then click on reset PC, it says I need my windows installation or recovery media which I do not believe I have since I bought my computer with Windows already installed.

Edited by Kamelonu, 19 August 2015 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

When I initially upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 everything seemed to be fine....

....when I got to settings -> recovery -> then click on reset PC, it says I need my windows installation or recovery media which I do not believe I have since I bought my computer with Windows already installed.

You can download a Windows 10 ISO which you can then burn to DVD or create a bootable Flash Drive to install/repair. :)

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. To learn how to use the tool, go to the Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool page.

HTH :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 August 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#3 Kamelonu

Kamelonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

I'm actually in the process of downloading this now.  When I upgraded to 10, I don't remeber if I needed an activation key or not.  Will I need one for repairing?  If so, I don't have one.  Am I screwed?

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

To say the whole process is FUBAR is an extreme understatement. I had a similar problem... I upgraded  my 8.1 to 10 (keeping 7, check my sig line lol) no problem, activated with no Key asked. Then I did a clean install with the ISO I dl'd... it asked for a key twice in the install process, I chose "skip" the 1st time & "do this later" the 2nd... after completion of fresh install checked activation status... Activated :)  This is how Micro$haft designed the Upgrade >>> Activation process, there's no actual Key needed IF you upgrade a valid 7 or 8.1 to 10... M$ registers your HWID (Hardware ID) on it's activation servers and you can... allegedly... clean re-install as many times as you wish "for the life of the device"

I say allegedly because after futzing around w the settings in 10 and doing some extreme tweaking I decided to clean install just yesterday... same process/ Flash Drive etc as first time... skip enter Key... Do this later... check status >>> >> Windows is not activated, error code XYZABC>>>  Key has been blocked

:killcomp:

WTF??? How did/does MicroSlop block a key I didn't even enter in the first place? Long story short I ended up having to restore a backup from 7/29 in order to start fresh. I haven't tried a refresh or reset but from the tutorials I've seen on the net it doesn't... or at least SHOULDN'T ask for a key as long as you're legal/activated.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. (crosses fingers) :thumbup2:

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 August 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#5 Kamelonu

Kamelonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the story!  I hope all goes well.

#6 Kamelonu

Kamelonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

So I downloaded the file and I burned it to a dvd instead of putting it on a flash drive and I am unable to boot from the dvd.  Any advice on this?

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:27 AM

How did you burn it?

>>>and I am unable to boot from the dvd<<<

What does this mean? Did you change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from DVD? Is the DVD itself not bootable? Please explain in detail what/how/ what happened, any error messages, etc. rather than us playing 20 questions lol :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 August 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

If you need a free program to create bootable Media  IMGBurn is a good one, I recommend version 2.5.7 as later versions contain "Spyware"

Download it from FileHippo:  http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/12006/

Then follow this guide to make a Bootable DVD: How to create a Windows Vista / 7 / 8 installation disc (bootable) using ImgBurn

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 August 2015 - 01:44 AM.

#9 Kamelonu

Kamelonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:53 AM

Thank you for your willingness to help union_thug. I created the bootable dvd fine after downloading windows 10. What I was struggling with was how to get my laptop to boot using that disc. I eventually figured out through some searching that I needed to use f1 or f2 to change what I booted from. My laptop is currently resetting! I hope it works like normal when it is done.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

:thumbup2:  You're welcome. I'm gonna call it a night, it's 3:00 AM & I need some shuteye lol. Post back your results.

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 August 2015 - 01:58 AM.

#11 Kamelonu

Kamelonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:00 AM

Everything works great now!  Enjoy the shuteye!

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Good for you! thanks for letting us know.

Rgrds

U_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users