Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 player1146

player1146

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 via a bootable DVD.  Just when I got all of my files and settings back onto my computer, Windows was saying it was not genuine.  I ran an activator to activate Windows.  When the activator restarted the computer, the computer got caught in an infinite boot loop.

I put in my Windows 7 disc and selected "Repair your computer."  It finds a Windows installation on the D: drive, even though I installed Windows on the C: drive.  When I try to repair the Windows 7 installation on the D: drive, it tells me the disc is not compatible with that installation of Windows.  When I click "Load Drivers" to look at my files, I see that I have a C: drive called "System Reserved" and then the D: drive has become my Local Disk.  So it appears the activator created a new drive and moved Windows to it.

Since I cannot use the Windows DVD to Repair the Windows installation, I'm not sure what to try next.  I have an old Ubuntu live disc if I need to use it.  I just spent 3 days getting Windows back to how I wanted it so I'd prefer not to wipe my hard drive if there's any way around it.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I ran an activator to activate Windows.

What exactly do you mean by this ?  Normally you do not run any sort of activator to activate Windows, you merely enter the COA code as part of the install process and it checks with MS and normally activates.

If you are using a genuine but different install disc from the one originally installed then you will normally need to make a call to MS to get activation, this is usually a free call.

If the 'bootable DVD' you were using is merely a copy of a Windows install disc then you are out of luck. You are going to have to get a legitimate copy and re-install. And if it is a copy you have been using and if you wish to continue using it then BC cannot offer any advice on that.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users