Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

putting my OS in the SSD- please help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dirty.Delia

Dirty.Delia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

I bought a computer about 18 months ago that came with a terabyte hard drive and a 32 gig sold state drive, each factory installed and in the machine when i purchased it.

I bought this computer in part because many friends told me that you should have a PC with the OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD.

However, the OS was factory installed in the HDD, and the SSD was empty (and has been empty ever since I bought the computer).

I thought I would just be able to reinstalll the OS and put it in the SSD, but I've never been able to.  Whenever I reinstall Windows, which I have done a few times, it always instals, by default, the the C:, which is the HDD.  IT doesnt give me any other option to install it to the SSD.

Furthermore, when I have tried in the past to save things to the SSD, it never works.  ITs as if the SSD wont take any data. My questions are twofold:

1.)  why do they put an SSD in the PC that doesnt have the OS on it and that you can't seem to use?

2.)  how can i migrate my OS to the SSD?

My computer doesnt have a disc drive (only USB ports).  I have no recovery disks for windows-- no discs whatsoever cam with the PC.  Everything is on the drives. 

Now I am having problems with my HDD.  The PC still operates, but gives various BSOD's and is malfunctioning badly.  The shop where I took it tells me it is the HDD for sure.  And due to the make and model of my PC they cant open it in store, they have to send it off.  They want $220.00 plus tax to replace the faulty hardware and check everything else including software and basically make the computer like new.  I don't have the money right now, but I'm told that if i can put the OS onto the SSD most of my problems may be solved--- if only temporarily.  Much of the problems come when trying to boot.  A common BSOD error i get is "inaccessible boot device," which the techs i spoke to all say indicates the hard drive failing.  But they say if the OS could boot from the SSD, no problem.

How do i get my OS onto the (until now) useless SSD that lenovo included in this computer?

THank you, D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users