Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which distribution should I use?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 waymegelli

waymegelli

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

Based on a suggestion by computerxpds, I'm asking for help to determine how to get started with Linux.  Here's my story - I have a relatively old Toshiba Satellite laptop (details are: Model L755-S5216, Pentium B940, 64 bit, 4 GB Ram, 320 MB HDD) that quit working recently.  It would boot to "Starting Windows", but never went any further.  I decided the hard drive was bad, so I pulled it out, used a connector and was able to pull all my data off the drive, then I completely reformatted the drive.  All went well, so maybe the drive isn't bad after all.  Since I don't have any Window install discs, I'd like to try installing and learning a bit about Linux.  I've run into the many options of how to download Linux and have no idea how to proceed.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hi :welcome:  to BC.

I suggest you try Linux Mint. Download - Linux Mint

Once you have the ISO downloaded burn it to DVD.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Now boot your PC from the ISO you just burned, You may have to set your PC to boot from DVD in bios, Play around with it see if everything works, Then we can guide you on installing.

Regards

Nick.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

If you're into gaming though, and/or you want a software center, I would choose Ubuntu. It supports Steam and has its own software center with many apps. It makes it easier to install programs.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

If you're into gaming though, and/or you want a software center,

What Linux mint hasn't got a Software Center?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

@waymegelli

Hi, and also :welcome: to the Linux side of the site.

Based on a suggestion by computerxpds, I'm asking for help to determine how to get started with Linux.  Here's my story - I have a relatively old Toshiba Satellite laptop (details are: Model L755-S5216, Pentium B940, 64 bit, 4 GB Ram, 320 MB HDD) that quit working recently.  It would boot to "Starting Windows", but never went any further.  I decided the hard drive was bad, so I pulled it out, used a connector and was able to pull all my data off the drive, then I completely reformatted the drive.  All went well, so maybe the drive isn't bad after all.  Since I don't have any Window install discs, I'd like to try installing and learning a bit about Linux.  I've run into the many options of how to download Linux and have no idea how to proceed.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks very much!

Are we to take it from the above that there is no OS (Operating System) currently on the Satellite? If that is so:

1. Then obviously you have access to another computer, can you tell us which OS it is running?
  2. The procedure described by NickAu will vary if you are using XP or Macintosh on the other computer

Helpful tutorials for what is referred to as a "clean install" can  be found here

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1957476/set-linux-mint-system.html

and here

https://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-17.1-qiana

The latter one is most recent, using Rebecca

When you are choosing a version from the Linux Mint site, ignore the No Codecs and OEM versions. With 4GB of RAM you should be able to run the 64-bit versions.

Good luck

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

If you're into gaming though, and/or you want a software center,

Never mind...

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

@gigawert, @NickAu:

None

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW waymegelli - Linux Mint Mate was the first Mint I used, and still do. But I cut my teeth on Ubuntu. Each has its merits.

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:00 AM

None

I'm not sure if all Linux Mint family members have a software center application, but Cinnamon and Mint do. Alternatively the Ubuntu Software Center (package name "software-center") is also available in the default repos, though several of the reviews say it doesn't work on Linux Mint 17.

#9 waymegelli

waymegelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the responses - I downloaded Cinnamon 64 bit and put it on a USB stick last night.  Tonight I'll try the next steps based on the wizardfromoz reply.  To answer his questions - Yes, I'm doing this downloading from another computer that I believe is running Vista.  I'll double check tonight when I get home - it's definitely not XP or Mac.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

...but Cinnamon and Mint do....

LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) has Software Manager, Linux Mint KDE has Software Center. Linux Mint Mate has Software Manager.

Good luck, to the OP (Original Poster) - we'll look forward to progress report.

:wizardball: Wizard

#11 waymegelli

waymegelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

wizardfromoz - I'm getting nowhere on this install, do you have a few minutes to help?  I donwloaded linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso to a USB drive.  I inserted it in the Toshiba and turned it on.  It gave me USB boot options 1) Bypass Master Boot 2) Regular boot 3) Legacy boot.  I chose 1 and it came back with "HitmanPro.Kickstart booting" but nothing ever happened.  What'd I do wrong?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

It sounds like you simply copied the iso file to the USB key that had HitmanPro Kickstart already installed on it. You need to use a program like Rufus or Unetbootin to create a bootable USB flash drive. If you only want to test Mint and also be able to save your settings and programs then I would use LinuxLive USB creator that will let you add persistence. I would wait for an answer from one of the linux guru's though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

I donwloaded linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso to a USB drive.

What you need to do is Burn the ISO to USB so it becomes bootable. ( Do not worry it wont hurt your USB ), You can also burn the ISO to DVD.

Do you have access to a Windows 7 or greater machine?

How to burn ISO image to CD or DVD using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

If you dont have access to a Win 7 machine or if your PC has not got a optical drive you will need to use a tool similar to Unetbootin.

It sounds like you simply copied the iso file to the USB key that had HitmanPro Kickstart already installed on it. You need to use a program like Rufus or Unetbootin to create a bootable USB flash drive. If you only want to test Mint and also be able to save your settings and programs then I would use LinuxLive USB creator that will let you add persistence. I would wait for an answer from one of the linux guru's though.

Follow these instructions provided by JohnC.

I was in the middle of replying when John replied.

Edited by NickAu, 20 August 2015 - 05:45 PM.

Arch Linux .

#14 waymegelli

waymegelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

I did a full format on the USB before I copied the iso file to it, but I guess it didn't clear everything.  Anyway, I'm reformatting an SD card and will use it with a SanDisk USB to SD adapter to try the same thing again.  I saw no guidance about your Rufus or Unetbootin suggestions in the previous answers.   Where can I find steps about how to use those?

#15 waymegelli

waymegelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

I don't have a DVD and anyway, I think my optical drive is broken, so I have to use the SD / USB option.  I've got to figure out this Unetbootin option.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users