Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are important Updates for 8.1 necessary considering Win 10?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SillyBilly

SillyBilly

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Greetings to all,

I had Win 8 Pro and Updated to Win 8.1.  In the past using Win XP, I always installed the Critical and some of the Important Updates.

I have not installed any of the Updates for Win 8.1 There are 110 Important Updates going back to February of 2015.  I have not experienced any problems.  In view of the fact that Win 10 will eventually be installed (in the spring) on my computer do I really need to install the Win 8.1 Updates?  If the answer is Yes, then what will happen to these Updates that will be using disk space once I install Win10?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hi SillyBilly :)

If you upgrade via the Media Creation Tool, you don't need any updates at all on your system to upgrade. It might even be easier that way. This being said, Important Updates are security related updates used to patch vulnerabilities, exploits and security holes in the Windows OS. They are critical to install if you want to run a safe and secure OS, so I strongly suggest you to install them as soon as possible.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 SillyBilly

SillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  I looked at the Updates more closely and discovered that 34 are security related.  I found one of the others which related to updating the Euro as the currency of Lithuania (this one I don't need).  I will need to investigate each Update before installing.

I can understand that the security updates are necessary for protection, but I don't understand why I need some of the others considering that I don't use or have on my computer some MS programs (Word, IE) and I will be getting a new OS with Win 10.  Is it because these non-security updates will offer protection or introduce new features between now and the move to Win 10?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

Recommended/Optional updates are mostly updates that will fix, patch or enhance the Windows OS and/or other Microsoft programs. They aren't critical, but at what point, if Microsoft judges that they are useful or everyone should have them, they'll switch them to Important Updates.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 SillyBilly

SillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I now have a better understanding.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

No problem Billy, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

I consider all windows updates to be important to keeping your computer safe and running well in the long term but there are some updates as I discovered and others ive read on several forums that have caused some problems.Theres also ones like Skype witch I currently don't use or have a need for.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:22 AM

You want to avoid installing drivers via Windows Update, since most of the time they'll either fail with an error code saying that you have a more recent version installed, they'll install bad drivers version or they'll just crash your system.

unite_blue.png

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:01 AM

Greetings to all,

I had Win 8 Pro and Updated to Win 8.1.  In the past using Win XP, I always installed the Critical and some of the Important Updates.

I have not installed any of the Updates for Win 8.1 There are 110 Important Updates going back to February of 2015.  I have not experienced any problems.  In view of the fact that Win 10 will eventually be installed (in the spring) on my computer do I really need to install the Win 8.1 Updates?  If the answer is Yes, then what will happen to these Updates that will be using disk space once I install Win10?

Thanks in advance.

8.1 needs to be fully & completely up to date via WU prior to downloading & installing Windows 10. 

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

I consider all windows updates to be important to keeping your computer safe and running well in the long term but there are some updates as I discovered and others ive read on several forums that have caused some problems.Theres also ones like Skype witch I currently don't use or have a need for.

Billy,

Don't sweat that what you read in Forums about Updates breaking things... it's extremely rare, often, the matter wasn't actually caused by any Update and this scenario lessen w/ Windows 10.  As far as Skype or anything, if it's just sitting there unused that's really quite harmless.  Just take the 8.1 Updates so you can have Windows 10.  No need to over think this stuff.  The Upgrade looks after everything very nicely; hell of a process.  Relax about drivers... just put all 8,1 Updates in... not referring to Optionals.  When Win10 installs it will grab whatever drivers may be needed.... it's quite smart.
I have done a few of these for myself & my clients & there's not much to it... grab the Win 8.1 Updates & throw in W10.  Honestly, it terribly simplistic & easy.... Win10 does all the 'heavy lifting' for you.

Edited by Drew1903, 21 August 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

8.1 needs to be fully & completely up to date via WU prior to downloading & installing Windows 10.

Not true at all. You can upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool and you don't need to have a single update installed on your system to upgrade. Also, once you're done installing Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, it'll asks you if you want to ugprade to Windows 10, and not a single update will have been installed.

unite_blue.png

#12 SillyBilly

SillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for all your comments.  They are appreciated.  The more opinions and knowledge I have, the more I'll be able to make better decisions.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Not true at all. You can upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool and you don't need to have a single update installed on your system to upgrade. Also, once you're done installing Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, it'll asks you if you want to ugprade to Windows 10, and not a single update will have been installed.

No.  Once the required Updates to 8.1 are done then & only then will the Get 10 icon appear & only then can one proceed further w/ getting Win10 put in the machine to replace 8.1

I have, already, done enough installs or conversions to of Win10 to know this is the case.

Edited by Drew1903, 21 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

No. Once the required Updates to 8.1 are done then & only then will the Get 10 icon appear & only then can one proceed further w/ getting Win10 put in the machine to replace 8.1

Drew, did I mention the "Get Windows 10" app in my reply? No. I said the Media Creation Tool. You can use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10 without installing a single Windows Update on your system. It's also the same when you clean install Windows 8/8.1 since it'll asks you if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 at the end of the configuration. If you accept, the upgrade will be downloaded via Windows Update without installing any updates prior to that. That's it.

So to sum it up: it's possible to upgrade to Windows 10 without installing a single Windows Update on a system.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users