Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Suse- wireless issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

OK- so my newest experiment is with Open Suse.Installed it on a testbed drive but cannot seem to get the wireless to work.Do I need to install the drivers myself-or do I need to connect through a LAN first? Anyone out there who uses Open Suse?I would love to hear from you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:37 AM

I've never used OpenSUSE so I can't help. Aside from the network issues, how do you like it?

SMCWUSB-N2 802.11n Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
-REF:http://speccy.piriform.com/results/iqeKX8qHI0JER0OUtTtHVCn

According to ( https://wikidevi.com/wiki/SMC_SMCWUSBS-N2 ) you can use the rt2800usb driver.
According to ( https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb ) it sounds like this is included in the debian package named "firmware-ralink", not sure what the comparable OpenSUSE package would be.
According to ( https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Network_%28Wireless%29 ) it sounds like the rt2800usb driver is pre-installed, as a couple devices that use it are listed as working out of box; maybe you just need to configure something, or maybe you need to have an internet connection during the installation process?

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:05 AM

I've never used OpenSUSE so I can't help. Aside from the network issues, how do you like it?

SMCWUSB-N2 802.11n Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
-REF:http://speccy.piriform.com/results/iqeKX8qHI0JER0OUtTtHVCn

According to ( https://wikidevi.com/wiki/SMC_SMCWUSBS-N2 ) you can use the rt2800usb driver.
According to ( https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb ) it sounds like this is included in the debian package named "firmware-ralink", not sure what the comparable OpenSUSE package would be.
According to ( https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Network_%28Wireless%29 ) it sounds like the rt2800usb driver is pre-installed, as a couple devices that use it are listed as working out of box; maybe you just need to configure something, or maybe you need to have an internet connection during the installation process?

Well - i don't know how i like it yet- it is not the typical Linux install- i may try to reinstall with a wired connection to the internet- right now ,it is just a play toy with me to see if i can get it working- it has a wireless connection manager- but it won't remember anything I put into it- so- I don't really know- i have posted this question in the Open suse forum - which by the way is no small achievement- with their level of security just to log on to their site ,you would think that they would have the basic wireless connection figured out- so far - no - I am not happy- it is useless to me unless I can connect to the internet--- and BTW way - since you see my wireless adapter- I bought it specifically to work with Linux- which it does - on my other two installs- Mate 17.2 and ububntu studio- n problem there - i just don't know what is going on yet?............it also works perfectly in Windows- all versions that I have used-

Edited by paul88ks, 20 August 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

I've used Open Suse for about 6 to 8 months, on and off.  I had no problems with wireless, but I did with install the first couple times.  Download them all checked out my download and said it was ok.  I downloaded another one, and things went fine.  You use different terminal commands than with the ubuntu products.  If my memory is right, they are the same as Fedora, but I can't say for positive.  I liked a lot of the OS, but not much help was offered here, and I assumed that there wasn't many here who had used it.  I went to the Open Suse forum, and received a lot of info there.  This is my main forum, but sometimes you have to go to a more specific place.  Been busy recently, and thinking about reinstalling it.  They probably have a new version since last summer.  It's a good distro and not much different to use.  While I admit I know nothing, I thin I'd try a reinstall first, and if that didn't work, a second download, or maybe joining their forum, and using it with open suse.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

Well - i will probably do what you suggested- i did join the Open Suse forum last night- which was a ridiculously long sign up process,and posted my question there.I haven't checked today to see if i got a response. This is not a really big deal,as i am only playing around with it on a testbed drive- i also went to Linux Questions.org and did the same thing- we will see what happens. The install was a little foreign to me - but I thought I went through all the steps correctly- however- i remember i was not hooked up to the internet during the process,so there may be an update that I missed .I will try again tonight!

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

I don't really remember too much about the installation.  I've tried a lot which means taking off some I like to find others.  I haven't used it in about 8 or 9 months.  I figured I'd hate it cause I had so much trouble installing it, but I liked it.  I was and still am remembering what commands to give in terminal, and then with open suse, it's different commands.  I get confused easily so I tried a different distro.  I tried to find my old thread there, but I can't seam to log in.  Good luck with it, sorry I couldn't say anymore about it, or be more help.  O, I think that is the distro where you can choose your desktop while installing.  And my problem (I think), which I've had installing other distros  was, after installing I couldn't restart.  

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Well-Success! I downloaded the 'Milestone 42.1" version 4.7Gigs and burned the .iso Then I drug out my 30"LAN cable and hooked up to the router. it seems in OpenSuse you have to configure your wired connection first,then I went back and configured the wireless.It was a little complicated,but after some trial and error I was able to get both working.

Same thing with my Wireless Printer- I first had to install as a Local printer with USB cable,and then go back and connect the wireless. That was a little challenging as well,seeint that OpenSuse is not nearly as automated as most of the other Linux distros i have tried.I also Chose the KDE Plasma Desktop- since i was unfamiliar with Gnome. Those were the two choices! This is a much different OS than I am used to but now that i have had a little experience in Linux i am looking forward to exploring this Distro.

I haven't even begun to play with it yet,seeing as i only got the wireless and printer working last night! Paul

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Enjoy.  Writing on this thread reminds me of the reasons I installed over it.  The terminal thing.  My memory isn't that good.  My old disks say 13.2, and the date on them is Oct 2014.  Hard to believe they had that may upgrades.  I thought I had more desktop choices also.  As I've said, I liked it after it was installed.  My wifi worked right off, but I never got the printer to work.  With what I"ve seen of your posts, You're a lot like me and like trying the new distros.  Gotta make sure you get the right one.  Hope you like Open Suse, I've told you all the bad I can remember. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users