Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision freezes, crashes, heats up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stormchain

Stormchain

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hello,

my computer, albeit expensive already been back to shop 4 times, having changed battery, fan and motherboard. all within a year. figured it's all fixed now, but recently i got few BSODs again. still have few months left on warranty, but the issue is, i dont know whether it's technical or soft fail.

i "fixed" (avoided) further BSODs by abandoning hibernate function. it would flash blue then restart at times. for a while it was good.

other thing, laptop becomes scalding hot while playing games. persists even after thorough cleaning of dust. both fans appear to be working. all hardware passes Dell Diagnostics. specific game that gets on its nerves the most is Crusader Kings 2. it keeps crashing, too.

after Firefox began boycott on Flash, i began experiencing lag - something that never happened on this laptop before (16GB RAM and all). but then again, Firefox blocking Flash might have nothing to do with it bad timing aside. eitherway, Firefox is managing to lag whole system sometimes. especially if a video is playing. yesterday laptop completely froze up for good ten minutes. first thing it does after thawing - play song from youtube. task manager showed 100% CPU and 100% RAM. also something that i witnessed for the first time ever on here. all it had open at the time was skype, firefox with youtube and the aforementioned game (the rest of the programs don't use significant resources). it remained scorching hot for a long while after turning the programs off and doing battery of diagnostics - but everything checked out...

today i backed everything up and was ready to do format, however - if its either flash caused problem (because i'll likely install flash again afterwards. it's disabled now but half of the websites arent working properly) or hardware failure, the format is just waste of time.

attaching few screens from dell diagnostic log. they're little older as recently there were no BSODs, just lag and heat.

i mostly just need help deciding whether to format or take it to shop as it is. of course, a fix would be mostly appreciated if its possible at all.

the computer:

Computer Model
Precision M4600
BIOS Vendor
Dell Inc.
BIOS Version
A16
BIOS Date
12/26/2013
OS Version
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Manufacturer
Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Clock Speed
2.3Ghz
L2 Cache Size
Available Memory
70.34 %
Page File Size
32,680.3MB
Available Page File
98.37 %
Virtual Memory
32,680.3MB
Available Virtual Memory
85.12 %
ChannelA-DIMM0
4,096.0MB
ChannelA-DIMM1
4,096.0MB
ChannelB-DIMM0
4,096.0MB
ChannelB-DIMM1
4,096.0MB

Attached Files

Edited by Stormchain, 19 August 2015 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Overheating is not good.

Get the temps using this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
If any of the temps go over 90ºC, shut the system down and contact Dell for service

Beyond that, please run these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

While the Dell diagnostics are good, I prefer these.

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

thanks for swift reply and sorry for taking so long myself. i've been trying to get that epic lag again, but it did not repeat. temperatures stayed around 60C and FurMark made it up to 75C and stayed stable there too. memory monitor made 3 passes with no errors. planning to leave overnight and see what happens then. attaching few files from with sys info, as i lack the knowledge to interpret it. so far seems like i need a fresh start and clean wipe of the drive. wouldnt really mind it, seems like an easier option than looking for hay in the stack of what-could-have-went-wrong.

thanks for the help btw! much appreciated.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

Only 4 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Lot's of problems with Crusader Kings.  Please uninstall.
If you wish to keep using it, download and install the latest compatible version for your system.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html

Then we wait and see what happens.................
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

for a while all was good... until today i realised theres this annoying nonstop whirring x[ and then the laptop shut down as i was running the basic diagnostic. upon restart few hours later i checked the temperatures and max value in cores 1-3 were above 100C. and the fans are still going at it without rest, even though temperatus went down to 50s right now. you think that validates the visit to shop yet? |:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Temps above 100ºC can damage your hardware.

This is symptomatic of a broken cooling system.

The cooling system includes the contact between the cooler and the CPU, the cooler itself, any heat pipes that take the heat away, and the fan (and it's radiator).

Also, it can be caused by other components - so we'll need to know what the max temps of the other components were.,

But, in short, if it's overheating like that while running diagnostics - then there's a serious problem.

#7 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

thanks for the aid, few parts were changed and it works perfect again :3

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:11 AM

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for letting us know.

Which parts were changed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users