Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Moving' a harddisk to be another drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mirinquads

mirinquads

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

First off, I'm basically computer illiterate, or at least not very proficient! Just so you know. 

Now that that's out of the way, let's get into the problem.. It's fairly simple actually:

I have an SSD harddisk in my computer. The thing is, this harddisk is set to be the C:/ drive.. Thus, everything i download, all those Library: Picture / Document  and so on, folder's is located on the C: / drive. This seems fairly pointless, as the point is to use if for games, and it's only 100 GB and windows is already on it, so the space isn't that great..

Is there anyway I could 'switch' this, so that the large 900 Gb harddisk was the C : / Drive, and the other on the D or F, where I could just put the games and stuff that I'd actually need there, there.

If that makes sense! : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

What version of windows are you using?  You can do this two ways, by moving the location of the folders as described here or by including a location in the library described in the same.  When you download a program you can download a file to anywhere on any hard drive connected to the pc.  What browser are you using.  If you do not have a dialog box asking you where to save the file to then the feature is turned off and depending on what browser your using it would be different for each on how to turn it back on.  You can then create a download folder on your other drive and 'save' your downloads to that location.

#3 mirinquads

mirinquads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

Am using windows 7 pro.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

You can simply move the unnecessary data files...to a location on the other partition/drive.

Those libraries...those are not even real accounts, since the files are not really in them.  You can add the new locations of the files to the libraries and they will be reflected as they were before

The data files do NOT have to be on your Windows partition...to be reflected in any library or listing by type.

Same principle as "importing" music files into Video Lan or any other decent player...the actual location of the files does not determine if they are reflected in the program.

Louis

#5 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

from now on, do remember to change the location when download programs or files. That's a good habit. Instead of copying the files by hand, u can backup all the files into an image, and restore them to other locations/partitions.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users