Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP No Sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Dell GX270 Desktop

I had to reinstall (Clean) both XP Home Edition SP3 and XP Pro SP3 (on separate HD). - After which an old problem arose from yester year, which SP3 was supposed to resolve, but evidently did not.

Note that I waited a couple of days until the 100+ hot fixes applied, then stopped down loading !

The Realtek AC'97 Integrated sound does not work, due to Multimedia Controller drivers not installed.

The download from DELL will not work. Download from CNET, I will not let complete as it does not pass Microsoft testing and may nake system unstable yada yada. And forget driver detective etc !

Any old timers here remember the cure ?.

Ken

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager next to your Sound Device? If there is, right click and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. If there is not a yellow exclamation mark then there is another issue causing it besides a driver. Was sound working before the updates?

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

I went down the street, picked up a cheap Sound Card, and solved the problem. So I stopped chasing ghosts !

And by that, I mean, there must be a million threads out there with the identical problem, and I have yet to see one with a solution, but you will see a lot of opinions and sites for Driver updates that want your $$$, and put the screws to ya !

Edited by USN Vet, 19 August 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Realtek has their own website for driver downloads but I am glad you were able to fix the problem.

#5 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Yes I know aof their Site, and again, try to get a download that will work is another question as it is at DELL !

#6 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

One more thing for people that are experincing the same issue, but want download the driver without spending the money on the driver updates that probably don't work is to go into the device manager, go to the properties of the faulty card, and check the hardware IDs. There you'll usually find the Ven (vendor) number and ver (version) number of the driver you're looking for.

Then simply type that info into google and the manufacturer should have an available download for you.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

I had an issue like this, actually still is.  It was experienced after a re-install with a Non OEM XP Disk.  I read some others having the same issue after doing the same.  It seems as though something gets damaged in the process.  Though it don't seem physically possible, I think it is.  My laptop seems to have very low hours on it when I got it used, but, it was wiped with a non OEM Disk just before I got it, and the sound never worked again.  In fact, I am on it now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

One more thing for people that are experincing the same issue, but want download the driver without spending the money on the driver updates that probably don't work is to go into the device manager, go to the properties of the faulty card, and check the hardware IDs. There you'll usually find the Ven (vendor) number and ver (version) number of the driver you're looking for.

Then simply type that info into google and the manufacturer should have an available download for you.

What you suggest is more myth than anything else, and is like going to this useless site with the Vendor and Device search.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

I have helped many people getting the correct driver by going to PCIdatabase.com with the Vendor and Device ID. It isn't perfect but it works. Sometimes doing a direct install of XP SP3 results in no sound and a Microoft UAA patch needs to be installed but I am glad you were able to resolve your problem with a new card.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 August 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#10 MusiCALpuLLtoy

MusiCALpuLLtoy

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

had a similar issue with a used dell dimension. had sound but skipping and static horrible bass. after finally getting the right search term, uninstalled secondary and primary ide channel one at a time , reboot each time. worked well till cooling fan shorted to audio amp for home speakers. 120 v took pc sound out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users