Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extend Schema E2010SP1 on x32-bit Domain Controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Good Morning,

I am working on building a new mail server with E2010SP1, but before I can start the exchange install, I need to extend the schema.  To safeguard our environment from a bad schema extension, it is my intention to use the repadmin /options (servername) +disable_outbound_repl command on our DC/schema master, extend the schema, and then re-enable replication once I am able to confirm that the extension went off without any major issues.

The only problem is that our DC/schema master is a x32-bit platform... and the E2010SP1 installer is x64-bit and therefore won't allow me to run it directly on the DC. 

I *could* run the schema extension from my PC, which is x64-bit, but -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm fairly certain that doing so would apply across all of our DCs... not just to the DC/Schema Master with replication disabled.  So, in that case, if something were to go awry, we'd be looking at a complete forest rebuild (something I'd much rather avoid...)

So here's a description of our DC environment.  Please let me know if there is a good way to approach this.  I don't think there is a E2010SP1 installer in the x32-bit variety. 

Domain Controller/Schema Master - Windows Server 2008,x32-bit.

Exchange Server (Also DC) - Windows Server 2003 x64-bit (yes, I know... this is exactly what I"m trying to get rid of.  Been here for 9 months and had more than one 2003 server in the environment... been trying to decommission them and get everything up to date)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

One option I'd like checked:

We are planning on bringing a new DC into the environment.  It is a x64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 platform.  Could I:

1) Join it to the domain, run DCPROMO.

2) Disconnect network cable from new DC

3) Run Schema Extend

4) Provided there are no errors/conflicts/issues, reconnect new DC and set to replicate to old DCs.

4a) Can I run a schema extension on a DC which isn't the schema master?  Or does it need to be a schema master for those changes to replicate?

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

if you have a 64 bit server then give that all FSMO roles, use repamin to replicate changes to all servers and use netdom query on all servers to amke sure they know who FSMo owner is.

Then try and raise the functional level but that 32 bit server will cause you issues, also refere to the rpevious thread you started as i added a reply there as well,.

#4 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Thanks, Johnny.  Will give a shot and let you know how it goes.

#5 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

Worked perfectly.  Schema is extended and I am not installing E2010.  Thank you, Sir! 

-Rob

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:06 PM

Worked perfectly.  Schema is extended and I am not installing E2010.  Thank you, Sir! 

-Rob

Ohh sorry mate i thought you where installing exchange 2010 SP1 and tryign to raise the domain fucntional level. Ahh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users