Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is the best method to create a Fresh exchange 2007 mailbox database and mig

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joshuareeves

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:37 AM

A client recently had a failure with their mail database.  The database was repaired using the ESEutil and isinteg utilities to get the database back into a clean state. (exchange 2007 SP1)
However after the above processes there have been a number of quirks that have appeared, for instance:
some users could not open up mail in another users shared mailbox
some users had all mail from different mailbox folders deleted that were from a date prior to the database going down
One user could not see any new mail in cached mode in outlook.
Generally a lot of niggly issues.  My thought is that the database still has a number of small corruptions and I would like to create a new mailbox database and move the users mail across to this new database.
Office tech info:
SBS 2008
Client using outlook 2003 sp3 and outlook 2010.  Total mail database size = 15 GB.
What would be the best method of achieving a fresh database and moving old mail across?
I have considered moving the mailbox database and log files to another location and then getting exchange to create a new database.   I would then look to create a recovery storage group and put the old database files and logs in the appropriate folder and move mail form the old database to the new one.
The other method I have looked at is to export all mail to PST's and then reimport it into a fresh database.  
I have not used the recovery storage group before so your opinions and advice to achieve my goal would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnthonyKelley79

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

You're going to have to do the Database move and Recovery Storage Group.  The RSG does work and is not that hard.
See this site for help...

Or it may be easier just to set up a new storage group and move the mail across to the new database that will be created....can anybody see any problems with that method? 

See if the following article would help:

#3 joshuareeves

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. Your link was very useful for me! Thank you!

Solved! :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users