Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best method to create a Fresh exchange 2007 mailbox database and mig

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joshuareeves

joshuareeves

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:37 AM

A client recently had a failure with their mail database.  The database was repaired using the ESEutil and isinteg utilities to get the database back into a clean state. (exchange 2007 SP1)
However after the above processes there have been a number of quirks that have appeared, for instance:
some users could not open up mail in another users shared mailbox
some users had all mail from different mailbox folders deleted that were from a date prior to the database going down
One user could not see any new mail in cached mode in outlook.
Generally a lot of niggly issues.  My thought is that the database still has a number of small corruptions and I would like to create a new mailbox database and move the users mail across to this new database.
Office tech info:
SBS 2008
Client using outlook 2003 sp3 and outlook 2010.  Total mail database size = 15 GB.
What would be the best method of achieving a fresh database and moving old mail across?
I have considered moving the mailbox database and log files to another location and then getting exchange to create a new database.   I would then look to create a recovery storage group and put the old database files and logs in the appropriate folder and move mail form the old database to the new one.
The other method I have looked at is to export all mail to PST's and then reimport it into a fresh database.  
I have not used the recovery storage group before so your opinions and advice to achieve my goal would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnthonyKelley79

AnthonyKelley79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

You're going to have to do the Database move and Recovery Storage Group.  The RSG does work and is not that hard.
See this site for help...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/messaging_and_beyond/archive/2012/05/10/exchange-recovery-storage-group.aspx

Or it may be easier just to set up a new storage group and move the mail across to the new database that will be created....can anybody see any problems with that method? 

See if the following article would help:

#3 joshuareeves

joshuareeves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. Your link was very useful for me! Thank you!

Solved! :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users