Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi problems and Home ethernet switch question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ShaggyFox

ShaggyFox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:34 AM

Been having an issue with my wifi for the past few weeks. I live in an 18 unit apartment complex and when we first moved in everything was fine. Then a month later, we started getting Wifi issues. I have a Netgear c3000 listed here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-n300-wireless-n-router-with-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/4484015.p?id=1219098341221&skuId=4484015

We ran speed tests on 3 computers, a $3500 MSI GT80 Titan, An Asus G73JH and a custom built desktop with wifi card and confirmed, on Wifi we get anywhere from .3 Mb/s to 3 Mb/s and on the ethernet its more around 40-50 Mb/s. Had Time Warner come out multiple times and they can't determine the issue, saying its probably some new interference. Tried to switch out for a TW modem and an Asus RT-N66U Dual Band wireless-N900 Gigabit Router listed here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QB1RPY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Tried on the 2.4 and 5Ghz, on multiple channels with the same results. Had to switch back because the modem and router belonged to a friend.

Now out of options, I'm thinking of getting a Ethernet switch, unless someone has a better solution. I can't move it to another room because we're only set up for internet and no other cable plugins work. I'd have to call Time Warner and have them charge me again because its not their modem, and I'm running low on funds thanks to the previous service call.

If no one here cna find the solution, what is the best Switch to buy on a budget? Something that'll run on new and old computers alike? Because there's also 2 older laptops that wouldn't detect the 5GhZ band. We're also running Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Wii and Wii-U. Not all of them are used, mostly the Xbox One and Ps3. We are serious gamers and stream netflix, so downgrading is not an option :P

Edited by ShaggyFox, 19 August 2015 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users