Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Central Distributed Virtual Desktop Server

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

So - I am tired of maintaining my families various equipment

Project

1 - Server for a minimum of 3 Virtual Desktops

2 - 3 Thin Clients - Wyse Zero Client Server System

I would like all clients to be able to surf the web and I really would like all clients to be able to play online games like Robocraft and Tera

Question is - would this be possible?

I believe it is with enough memory and CPU and GPU power.

Basically I want my server to allow 3 users to have a full fledged desktop gaming experience if the so desire. 

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Yes this project would be possible but I see it being pretty pricey. Running a VM Server for web browsing not so much but if you want each one to be able to play MMOs like Tera then you will need to build using server hardware possibly including multiple processors and lots of RAM.

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

Yes this project would be possible but I see it being pretty pricey. Running a VM Server for web browsing not so much but if you want each one to be able to play MMOs like Tera then you will need to build using server hardware possibly including multiple processors and lots of RAM.

Would a single 12 Core cpu and 32GB of Memory using a Nvidia 980 Ti ---- Do the trick you think ---- Also --- Rarely would all three be doing the same thing at once almost never really. One would be playing mmo and 2 surfing the net and doing netflix facebook stuffs.

Welp after doing WAY more research and putting together a few practice builds and talking to some more people this option is far pricer than I had initially expected. Looks like it would be around $4000 - so just not worth it for me. I would need to have around 10 users for it to be a worth while project.

So I will just build new individual systems. 

Edited by pistol22cal, 19 August 2015 - 06:32 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

You could use an AMD Fx based system eg 9590 with 32 gb ram and a couple of r9 390 8gb gpus thrown in for way less than $4000

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

Seems an interesting idea, but an expensive mistake if it didn't work out as intended.  I'm not sure how GPU sharing would work out in virtual machines.  Would you need one GPU per VM, to guarantee they could all use 3D acceleration at the same time?

Edited by jonuk76, 20 August 2015 - 12:26 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:02 AM

Seems an interesting idea, but an expensive mistake if it didn't work out as intended.  I'm not sure how GPU sharing would work out in virtual machines.  Would you need one GPU per VM, to guarantee they could all use 3D acceleration at the same time?

See ---- This is a good question ---- AND as far as I know a VM can not access the I/O of a GPU the same as a native system.....obviously......so that would be a big issue!

BUT, an APU............now that would be different. Either way I wouldn't want to do it on my own dime to test a theory!

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users