Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Information About Internet Modem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cuse165

cuse165

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

I am needing to buy a internet modem is have found on that is a 8 channel modem. People have told me I should get a 16 channel modem that they are better. I only get 50/5 from my ISP that's the highest they offer. So at that speed would a 16 channel modem really be better and work for better than a 16 channel modem. I do have a router that's highly rated and I am not a online gamer and I do not have a lot of devices on my network. My ISP highest speed is 50/5 and they got that about 3 or 4 years ago. If any new speeds they would support would be 75Mbps maybe 100 and I probably would not upgrade due to price. Right now using a 8 channel modem web browsing is great a Netflix and streaming works in HD with no issue. So I am not sure about the the 16 channel and 8 and what would be best. I don't care about a increase performance of 1 between 3% Anything higher then 5% performance on my network now I would be interested in. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

You need to talk to your ISP as to how their channel configuration is setup presently and what they plan to go to in the future.  Then you can decide what modem/router you need to get.

#3 cuse165

cuse165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Yes thank you what I have been reading is a 16 channel might help you now but your buying it more for the future.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Why buy something you have no idea if your ISP will support?

Remember the saying: don't put the cart before the horse

Edited by Wand3r3r, 19 August 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

Could not agree more with all the other posters TALK TO YOUR ISP!!!!!!!!

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users