Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Anomaly] VirtualBox works on and off on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Is there anyone else that uses VirtualBox under Windows 10 here? I used it since I upgraded and it always worked just fine, without any issues. Now, since the last Patch Tuesday (where I also installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware), VirtualBox cannot launch any of my Virtual Machine anymore for whatever reason there is. This is the error message I'm getting:

aJe7LKS.png

The issue is a 0x05 code, which means "Access denied". And from the looks of it, it seems that VirtualBox cannot create a PCI device (virtual one I guess) for the VM I'm opening and it fails to launch. I have a few ideas of what could cause this but I'm still investigating.

So far, I tried a lot of solutions, and some works, some doesn't but everytime I restart my computer, I have to use a different one.
  • Upgraded VirtualBox to the latest version (which is 5.0.2);
  • Launched VirtualBox as an Admin, and with normal user rights;
  • Deleted a VM from the list and added it back;
  • Deleted the temp files from VirtualBox;
  • Boot a VM that is shut down, and not restore a snapshot;
The thing is that if I can get one VM to open, past the error message, the rest will open as long as I don't shutdown my computer. I have no idea of what causes this and I'm interested in knowing if some users here uses VirtualBox and if they encountered the issue.

On a side note, I know that VirtualBox isn't officially compatible with Windows 10 yet (it's on their own page), but I find it weird that it worked flawlessly until a few days ago.

Anyhow, I'll keep on posting my findings here and hopefully find a solution that will work everytime, or wait until Oracle releases a patch and I hope they will soon since I cannot really work without my beloved VMs :P

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 06:10 PM.
Moved from Windows 10 Support

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

I used it and it worked OK for me using an old Windows 98 VM. I can't say much more because I just downgraded back to Windows 7. 

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Like right now I managed to boot a VM that was shut down, and it made the error go away. But I know that when I boot my computer back in the morning, the error message will comeback. I have 8 VMs I'm kind of not interested in uninstalling cleanly and reinstalling VirtualBox but it looks like my next troubleshooting step.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

It probably is... But you can always save the VMs and copy them somewhere before you reinstall VirtualBox.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

The VMs aren't saved in their default location, so even if I uninstall VirtualBox they'll stay there until I delete them. I just need to backup a certain folder that contains .xml files for the snapshots. I didn't when I wiped my drive and reinstall Windows 8.1 to upgrade to 10 and that messed me up. Took me 4 days to update all my VMs and set them back up (since I was started from "clean" installs).

Edit: Posted a thread on VBox forums to see if anyone have that issue as well.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69656

Edited by Aura, 18 August 2015 - 09:48 PM.

unite_blue.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Frank Manhert from Oracle posted in my thread saying that this issue should be fixed with the latest test build of VirtualBox.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69656#p332521

I'll test it tonight and hopefully it'll work :) He posted the same thing in 3-4 threads where users have the same issue.

unite_blue.png

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Upgrading to the latest test build solved the issue if anyone wanted to know the answer. I posted it in my thread on VirtualBox forums as well to confirm it.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users