Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

widows 10 start up menu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyedee

johnnyedee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

Any easy way to access msconfig in windows 10? Kind of sorry at this point I got the download. It wants to disable some apps at start up but I haven't a clue as to how without msconfig. Thanks for any input, Johnny D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

See if this helps: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/msconfig-the-system-configuration-tool/273dea8e-4cbe-47e9-8489-f400e879ce17

The free PC-cleaning utility Ccleaner also has a tool that allows you to disable startup programs. Here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

Windows button + R brings up "Run" box > Type "msconfig" (without quotes)

Disclaimer: Msconfig is not intended to be used as a startup manager but rather as a diagnostic tool. I recommend Sysinternals' Autoruns, free download here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

The startup manager in CCleaner mentioned by saw101 above works well also.

...I got the download. It wants to disable some apps at start up but I haven't a clue as to how without msconfig.

More information would be helpful, such as what download? What is "it" ? What are you trying to accomplish?

EDIT: My bad, I see what you mean "It" being Win 10. I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball sometimes :P
2nd EDIT: Looks like M$ has disabled the startup tab in msconfig as a startup manager anyway:

[attachment=169094:msconfig.jpg]

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 August 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

The Startup manager has been moved under the Task Manager since Windows 8 Union. Also, Autoruns is mostly for advanced users, it's better to use something like CCleaner instead. If someone wants to use Autoruns to manage his startup programs/entries, it's recommended that he posts his Autoruns file (.arn) here and get it reviewed by a more experienced member.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Aura, useful info as always. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users