Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible options for dual dp monitors on laptop with only HDMI and VGA

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jeopardy98

jeopardy98

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

I'm looking for any possible solutions for connecting 2 monitors with DP cables to a laptop with a single HDMI port.  The laptop as well as the monitors have VGA connections but I know I can't split a VGA signal.  I was looking at a docking station with dual DP ports but they are $100 and I'm trying to get this done for much less than that.  I found plenty of dual DP to HDMI adapters but nothing going the opposite direction.

I'm a middle school teacher and we only have laptops but I'd like to set up a workstation at my desk since I rarely take my laptop home.  I figured some of you might wonder why I'm trying to run dual monitors.  I really prefer to have the laptop closed up and tucked up under the edge of the desk.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you all can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hello.

I couldn't even find a docking station with dual displayport outputs.  I saw one that 'claimed' it had dual displayports but clearly it did not.  I am thinking the best you would be able to do is connect one monitor via the vga ports (super slim vga cable) and get an hdmi to displayport converter for the second monitor.  I think this would be the most 'inexpensive' solution here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users