Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display fails to come back up after restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrScholls88

DrScholls88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

Product Name: HP Pavilion Media Center m800n
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Desktop has been experiencing this issue for several years now.  When I shut down my computer or go through the restart process the signal to the monitor is lost and will not come back.

I see the "Shutting down" blue screen and when it flips to restart, the display disappears.  The computer still hums away and restarts (I believe) but the display does not return. I've tried several different monitors, video cards and connections (HDMI, VGA, DVI) even on the motherboard video slot.

I have found that by :
  1: Holding the power button to hard shutdown the computer.
  2: Pulling the power cord and removing the CMOS battery

3: Wait 10 seconds to clear then replace and restart the computer

This clears the issue and the display comes back up right away. I don't know why, but it always does.  However, the problem happens every time I try to restart.
  Can anyone help or has an idea?

HP m8000n - Stock components 430W power supply
Motherboard - M2N7B-LA  _ HP P/N 489363

Windows 7 64-Bit

Currently VGA to VGA connection to video card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

There looks to be two suspect faults that would show those failures.  The power supply could be failing to get a reset on power off, some system power save functions can create this too.  The other failure would be the monitor as it's the only common item.  The CMOS reset does seem to point to a fault on the MOBO not getting reset properly,  strange that it seems to boot without video.  Try the P/S first  then another monitor.  The video connection has a reset line and it appears the video card or onboard are not sending the signal on a restart.   Still think something's going on with that CMOS.

#3 DrScholls88

DrScholls88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

Ordered a new CMOS battery 
This is my PSU - http://www.amazon.com/630WPS-m7570kr-m7571kr-m7730la-m7750la/dp/B002D38KB8

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9550 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 5119 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 703706 MB, Free - 320179 MB; D: Total - 11695 MB, Free - 1560 MB; L: Total - 953198 MB, Free - 785079 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, VIOLA M2N78-LA(Violet3)

I wonder if there some kind of command or corrupted string in that CMOS.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

The BIOS is unloaded from a ROM/EPROM/EEPROM, it can't be changed once written/burned.  It is possible that over time it degrades and becomes corrupt or is a very cheap/counterfeit chip, which  has happened. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users