Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

Okay, so i've got a couple hard drives in my office right now that i know are bad due to bad sectors. I can't run check disk on them because of how bad they are. Do you guys have any other programs that you use to temporarily get the drives running once they get to this state, or is it pretty much a game over at this point?

Mind you most of the information has already been backed up so it's not a huge deal if they're just done. Really i just want to test some things out on these hard drives in case i ever do have to retrieve information that is important.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

I think it can be done easily, one simple guide has been given here

wikihow Dot com/Repair-Bad-Sectors

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Well...for the sake of accuracy...bad sectors do not get repaired....they get replaced by good sectors within the partition,

A hard drive with damage...is not likely to be "repaired" unless it is a certified refurbished hard drive (which comes with a limited warranty period).

In spite of the fact that users speak of such replacement/movement as a "repair", it's an attempted repair for the files on bad sectors...but the bad sectors remain on the hard drive, come what may.

Hard drives giving evidence of serious damage...need to be replaced.

Louis

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

Like hamluis said that bad sectors cannot be repaired. but if you need to retrieve the data, just in case like you said, you may create a bootable disc/USB using a  data recovery software, say easeus data recovery or get data back. but if there are too much bad sectors, not sure if they can work out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users