Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems connecting 3rd monitor to Radeon R9 270

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 psyact

psyact

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hello. I have 2 monitors (different resolution) working properly with my R9 270 card via 2 dvi ports. Recently, I bought a hdmi-to-vga adapter to connect the third monitor, but when I connect it- all three screens go black and even if I disconnect the cable they stay black, so I have to reset my computer without the hdmi-vga cable. Please help me understand what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for your time. Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

I don't know, as I don't have that configuration but I will take a stab at it.  Maybe you can work out a different way to make this work.

HDMI is a purely digital output, while VGA is an analogue standard.  Therefore a passive HDMI to VGA cable will not work on a normal HDMI socket.  The VGA monitor can't read the digital output.  In order for this to work, the HDMI to VGA "cable" needs to contain digital to analogue conversion circuitry, usually an in line box which may be powered by the HDMI socket itself, or need additional power.  I've never used one, but from what I hear, these active conversion adapters aren't always good quality.  If there is any way to avoid using one, I think it would be a better solution.

DVI-I on the other hand (you have two of these ports) output both digital and analogue VGA compatible signals.  DVI to VGA adapters are very common and usually work perfectly.

I guess the third monitor is VGA only?  Do any of your other monitors support digital input (DVI or HDMI) or are they all VGA only?  If any of them do use a digital input, you might be better off using a DVI port (with DVI-VGA adaptor) for the VGA monitor(s), and use the HDMI port with a HDMI-DVI cable for a monitor that has a DVI connector.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 psyact

psyact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:50 AM

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it earlier: my two working monitors have both dvi and vga sockets, so I decided to connect one with the same hdmi-to-vga cable and the same result took place. I think that means that you are exactly right and this cable by itself is not enough due to the lack of formal conversion of digital to analog signal. The third monitor is VGA only and my other two monitors are connected via DVI, so the only graphics card output left to use are hdmi and Display Port (but for this one I couldn't find any local converter/adapter). I'll be looking for dvi-to-vga cables for the third monitor and hdmi-to-dvi for the one in current use to see if it does the trick as you suggested. I'll let you know. Thank you for your help =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users