Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycling old cell phones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hello!

I'm interested in recycling my old cell phones but I'm not sure what to do. I don't want my old devices going to third world countries and having the toxins harm people.

Any suggestions on where I can take them?

Also, what about data that is on them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Many legitimate charities offer to recycle phones. One in particular recycles them and donates them with minutes included so that service members can call home. If you like I can help find a charity that you are willing to support and get you started. If you have the make and model of the devices you wish to clear your personal data off of. I can help you find instructions for that too.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

Many legitimate charities offer to recycle phones. One in particular recycles them and donates them with minutes included so that service members can call home. If you like I can help find a charity that you are willing to support and get you started. If you have the make and model of the devices you wish to clear your personal data off of. I can help you find instructions for that too.

The phones I have are old. They're from last decade. They're not phones that can easily be given to someone else and be used for service. They have battery problems, screen problems; on one, it's been dropped so much it can't make phone calls.

I've seen something online called e-Stewards. They sound great, but I don't know if they are as good as they say they are.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

IMO..

Not knowing what cell phone/model you are talking about: IMO I have used a screw driver to take apart the cell phone devise,

Then it's easy to find the "home" module that has your life..smash the heck out of it!

Then..throw it in the trash, or if you're green take the remnants to a re-cycle drop off location that is Good Will etc. (they are in most cities?)

Otherwise, as you have described,, for example, the Goodwill have individuals in training to make your devise usable for sale in one of their re-sale shoppes.

#5 KenCharles

KenCharles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

Make toys for kids using your old phones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users