Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using XP and Windows 10 in tandem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

I spend 80% of my time using legacy software that won't install on anything after XP. I'm inevitably going to need something new that won't run on XP so want to buy a new Windows 10 computer. Because of integration with work I need to stick with a Windows OS.

I am constantly moving data back and forth between the legacy software and web sites, new software, etc so a dual boot won't work. Having two networked computers would allow that, probably by putting data into a file which the other computer could then access. Awkward but possible. It'd also seem to call for 2 keyboards/mice/monitors. Really awkward.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Virtual Box seems to not allow me to move back and forth. Would a KVM switch let me use one keyboard/mouse/monitor with different operating systems? Do you end up having to flip a manual switch to go back and forth? If you had 2 monitors would the keyboard/mouse know which computer to interact with by where the mouse is positioned, the way it does now with my dual monitors?

I realize the real answer is to migrate to new software but that's a good 6 months of very hard work to just get back to my current level of productivity. Transferring the data is easy. Creating the highly integrated system (after learning the new language) would be a bear.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Okay, since my situation is so similar to yours, I'll just explain what I do, and you decide if it sounds like something you'd want to try.

Right now, I'm typing on a Win7 machine, big 22" monitor, sitting maybe four or five feet away, in a recliner.  At my immediate left is my XP machine, also on, also big monitor, with its own keyboard.  Between them, is my TV monitor, which has enough plugs to plug into BOTH machines, so I can use it as a 2nd monitor with either the Win7 or the XP.

The XP is my main workhorse (I have seven, but this is #1).  I do all the client work on it.  The Win7 I'm typing on, is my internetter (the other 7 Win7's are offline).  The client work has to be uploaded to the internet, so when I've done it, I just put it on an external drive or stick (which also serves as a backup but it's a live copy or clone).  Then, plug that into my Win7, upload, done.

So not networked, no VM, or other too-complicated-to-use setup.  One person, two machines, One TV in between to act as a second monitor for either (special button on the remote for the TV, toggles between the machines).

And, if I wanted, I plug one of my external Linux drives into either machine, in case I want to do Windows housekeeping better than Windows can do.

By the way, lots of old software runs in Win10.  I use Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS via DOSbox, in Win10 64-bit, and also Lotus SmartSuite 9.8.2, and MS Office 2003, old Adobe Acrobat, even Windows 95 programs.  So if you tell me something of the programs you want to run, maybe I have them and can pretest them in Win10 for you.

But frankly, Windows 7 is more configurable like XP, and sevenforums came up with the steps, if you'd rather get Win7.  I have it set to Classic, just as my XP's are.  Quick Launch, desktop tool bar.  Windows 10 can't really do classic, there is no true Start Menu, but there are some limited customizations you can do with Quick Launch and desktop toolbar.

You can get good Win7 Pro machines for $300 or less in dellauction.com (direct Dell sale, so Dell itself refurbishes offlease machines, best are Latitude and Precision or Optiplex).  Or, in Ebay (panyp proved a good seller, not sure about others).  4 GB ram, i5 (which works with XP, and you can get retail XP Pro OS unused for $25 in Ebay).  My prefered lappies are Lat 6510, 6410, 6530, D630 (which is Core2 Duo, real workhorse).  And all have interchangeable, slide-out drives with each other, and XP runs well on all of them, too.  The 6530 is 2012 model, rest are several years older. 

All of them work with Linux, too.  None of them have to have special drivers, and all of them will work in Win10, plug and play.  Every Win7 machine can get Win10 for free upgrade. But the reports of upgrade working, are not good -- unless there is no third party software or old MSFT software on the machine at the time the Win10 inplace upgrade installer, installs.  That's what makes it smooth.  So you can get Win7 now, and Win10 later, if you want.

Or, you can get Win7 machines new from Dell, Lenovo, HP, Amazon, etc.  Many are still sold, with Win10 update rights, so you can try Win7 first.  The new Dell ones I saw for Optiplex yesterday, were under $1,000.  The lappies in any of the three vendors, went for $1,500 or less.  But for Dell, don't get anything but Latitude, Precision (their maserati), or Optiplex (desktop).  Their business class machines just listed, are very sturdy and very well made.  Their other subrands (Inspiron, Dimension, three of which I have, and Vostro, Studio) -- are repeatedly reported to have problems.

Does this help in brainstorming solutions?  If not, let me know and I'll try to do better!    :welcome:

Edited by brainout, 18 August 2015 - 12:59 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thank you!  I'd not thought of three monitors. Crowded but feasible. My legacy software is Lotus123v5. With thousands of cells grabbing data from many dozens of other files and hundreds of macros it doesn't even run in Lotusv9. I'm intrigued by your reference to DOSBox. If you load it on a Windows 10 machine can you easily move between that and the rest of the computer? I don't really have a structured period of uploading or downloading files. Rather, on the fly, I either copy/paste data from web sites directly to Lotus (formatting pre-set) or, download into Excel2003 which can be saved as a .wk4 file.  I'll also move data in both directions between spreadsheets and e-mail, Word, and other software that would be on the Windows 10 side of the divide.

PS-it's good to know I'm not the last person in the world using Lotus.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

Re DOS windows:  in Windows 7 you can copy and paste stuff from a DOS window, into any other window in Windows 7.  So it's allegedly not true DOS, but in 32-bit Win7 acts as one.  There are two steps.  You right-click inside the DOS window, then select 'Edit' then 'Mark', then paint the text/numbers in your DOS window you want to copy.  Then, open your destination, right click and paste as desired.  Closest thing to the old Sidekick I use for my DOS machines.  So you don't need DOSbox for Windows 7.

DOSbox too is just a window, so yeah you can move the data back and forth.  In fact, for you that might be a killer reason to update to Windows 10, which has extra copy and paste functionality not available prior.  So I'm assuming it also works for copy and paste of DOSbox windows, since that's a DOS emulator.  I didn't test it, though.

I don't know if I have version 5 of Windows Lotus on disk.  I do have it on my Windows 98 machines.  Have to hunt, and see if I can find disks to install it in Win10.   But for sure Excel 2003 will work, I use the whole MS Office 2003 on Win10 64-bit, now.  The key to making it work, is to install it AFTER Win10 is installed.  Same, for Win7.  The installers can't work with the older software, but the OS post-installation, can. Easily.

So do you want me to try and install Lotus version 5 directly to Win10, if I have its disks?

And no you're not the last person, find your 123 buddies, here.

Edited by brainout, 18 August 2015 - 01:35 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

Been away for a couple of days. If you have version 5, that would be phenomenal.  V5 lets you reference data in other speadsheets by specifying the path but without having to use .wk4. V9 requires that last part. 10,000 references later even converting to v9 is a lot of work. Besides I don't like their graphs! If you could see if it loads, that would be wonderful. I tried in Windows 8.1 and v5 won't even start the install.

Thank you also for the link. It's good to know I'm not alone! Houston, Sidney, Boston. Soon we'll get the world right again.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

Okay, well if 8.1 won't even start to install, it probably means you need 8.1 32-bit, not 64-bit.  Which then means, maybe you need DOSbox to install, for 64-bit.  Would you install DOSbox (use the green button) and then try to install through it, the v5 you have?  I don't know if that will work.

Will try to find the disks if I have them, and will hook up the Win10 machine and try to install it.  Might need the whole weekend, okay?

#7 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thank you!. Let me try the DOSbox on my wife's 8.1, 64bit computer. That'll give me a starting point.  I appreciate the help and will let you know. 

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

RATS!  I don't have disks for version 5.  Sorry!  OR WAIT:  I do have an unopened Smart Suite 97.  Read its comments, in that link.  You can ask about the wk4 issue there, maybe too.

It's later, but effectively its version is still  4, just after Lotus version 5.  That link's a Wiki page, and it has listings of forums, so maybe you can ask about the wk4 issue there, too.

#9 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

Thank you brainout. I really appreciate the help. I did some checking and SmartSuite97 has Lotus v9.x which will load in Windows 8 but v5 references and graphing and some formatting don't carry over. I tried the DosBox on my wife's 8.1 computer. It installed nicely but, it turns out, the Lotus 5 has enough Windows components that the DosBox just gives a message that it's I'm trying to install a Windows program. Seems I'm threading a VERY narrow  needle.

I'm going to try VirtualBox to see if that gets me anywhere but, if not, your very first suggestion about 3 monitors for two computers may well be my best bet. I'll probably wait until I need some software that doesn't work in XP but at least I'll have a plan. 

Thanks again.

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

Well, you also have the option of converting to Excel when done, as 2003 Excel can take your stuff, and 2003 will install in Win10.  Thank you for telling me that Smart Suite 97 uses Lotus 9.  I couldn't tell which Lotus version it was from outside the sealed package.  I don't want to unseal it until I have to.

Actually, you're better off not going yet to Win10, as the legal issues over the EULA will start heating up now.  So likely Win10 will change a lot over the next two years, as governments all over the world will start to object (see article here).  I really didn't think the political brouhaha would begin so quickly, but it really did start with Win8, and 10 is worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users