Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repartitioning hard drive in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

I want to repartition my 2T hard drive to shrink the C drive from 1T to .5T so I can make the other partition where I keep my data 1.5T. The C drive will still be more than half empty. I understand that, after optimizing the C drive, I can shrink it around the operating system without loss of functionality. My question is can I add the freed up .5T to the other partition without loss of that data or will I have to reformat that whole partition? I already back up the data to an external drive but want to know if there's a way to do this without having to go through the many many hours it'll take to restore 900G of data files.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

You can do this with a third party partition manager like Minitools Partition Manager. All steps are virtual until you hit the apply button so you can cancel if you make a mistake. You would resize/shrink the C: partition and then resize your data partition into the unallocated space. Pick the partition you want to resize then drag the arrow with a left click. As with any partition movement all your data should be backed up as you already know.

Make sure "Use Enhanced Data Protection Mode" is checked.

#3 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

Thank you! I'll try it when there's enough time left over to recover from the seemingly inevitable mishap!

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users