Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Updates, and Settings access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GinasGoodies

GinasGoodies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hello,

I am trying to prep this laptop for my son to take to college with him.  I have run into a couple of problems I am hoping to get help with.  I apologize now for any delay in my responses as we will be traveling over the next few days.  I will respond as quick as possible.  I would like to have it fixed and ready to go before we leave him with it.

Problem 1:

When I went to install Microsoft Office, the computer crashed several times with the BSOD.  The first crash was before I began the installation process, so I do not believe it to be any factor.  I went to check for Windows updates available, and I found no updates had ever been installed.  There were 90 important updates waiting.  All but two installed successfully. The remaining two important updates keep failing.  It no longer crashes, but because there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why or when it would crash, I don't know for sure it is fully resolved.

Problem 2:

I had two users set up on the computer.  One for parents as administrator.  One for kids with family safety enabled.  When logged in as the Parents account, I am unable to access the settings to add users and such.  I have to be logged into the kids user account and enter the parents password when prompted. Because I was unable to set up a separate user for my son to use as an admin while at school, I ended up changing the kids user account to an admin user with no family safety.  I am still unable to access the PC Settings when logged in as the Parents user.

I have run both AVG and Malware Bytes (done regularly).  Please help me get this laptop ready for my son to have a successful year at school!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GinasGoodies

GinasGoodies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

Shortly after we logged onto the laptop tonight, we got the BSOD again.  This was the first time it was logged in after posting my request for help.

Tomorrow, I will no longer have direct access to the laptop since it will be left with my son at college.  I will have to walk him through resolving the issue, which will cause delays in my responses.

Can someone please help me with this?  Or move my post to the correct forum where I will receive help?  Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users