Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is un-usable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roary

Roary

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

A few days ago I felt I had some minor virus problems with my Windows 7.  I checked the Microsoft site and found the suggestion that I should use Windows Defender Offline. I downloaded it to my computer and ran the program.  It started scanning my computer immediately and has never stopped since.  No matter what I do, and I haved tried every suggestion I can find on the net, I cannot get my computer to boot. I can't get into anything on that computer. I have tried making recovery disks (I have another good running computer with windows 10) and using the Windows 7 install disk but nothing will work. That computer will not respond to anything. It just goes on, and on scanning with Windows Defender. I shut it down and it comes back on with the usual boot signs but will not respond to any of it no matter what keys I press.  It then goes into Windows is loading files, after that it says Windows is loading.  But windows does not load in the normal way.  Instead it reverts to Windows Defender Scanning and I cannot find a way to stop that.  Can anyone please give me any helpful ideas as to how I might correct this situation? I would be most appreciative of any advice anyone can offer.

Roary.

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2015 - 04:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Can you access Safe Mode by tapping F8 at boot and then uninstall or disable Defender?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

You can download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk iso and burn it to CD. It is best to connect to the internet with a Ethernet cable as Kaspersky can then update the definitions. Boot the disk and do a virus scan.

#4 Roary

Roary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

Thank you so much for this suggestion.  I downloaded the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to a USB memory stick and I also did a DVD. With the DVD I did not get any response from my computer.  With the USB drive the computer did start up and here is what I got. 'Attempting to boot from USD device. No operating system was found. Try disconnecting any drive that don't have an operating system.  Press any key to restart.'  And that is as far as I can get.  The Kaspersky USB is the only one connected and It does not respond to any key that I press. I have powered the computer off and on several times and I get the same response.  At least I have gotten this far.  Prior to this I got absolutely nothing only the Windows Defender Offline continuing to scan and scan endlessly.

Roary

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of the thread. In the future if I do not reply, please PM me.

If you downloaded the iso file try using Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR for a partition scheme. In the dropdown box where Freedos is shown select iso image, click on the folder icon, and browse to the iso file you downloaded. Press Start. Any important data on the flash drive should be backed up first

What is the make and model of the computer? If Dell tapping F12 at boot will bring up a boot menu for selecting your USB flash drive.

#6 Roary

Roary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

JohnC-_21

Thank you so much for the information. I now have my computer working again, after a sorts.  It is very slow and seems to have a lot of pop-ups.  But I guess I will look after all of that in due course. I downloaded the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and after a long time of experimenting with it, I did get my computer to boot again. Believe me it was not an easy task.  Like I said, it all happened when I downloaded the Windows Defender Offline.  This computer is not my only one.  It is an older model H.P. with Windows 7 on it. Again thank you so much.

Roary.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Now that your computer is booting I would run the following scans in order.

Adwcleaner

Junkware Remover

HitmanPro  You need an internet connection

TFC  -  Temp file cleaner

After the scans are finished type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and typ

sfc /scannow

This will repair any corrupt system files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#8 Roary

Roary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thank you so very much for all of your help.  I will indeed take your advice on the scans and hopefully get it running a little better than it is right now. I will let you know the end results. Take care.

Roary.

#9 Roary

Roary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hi John:

I did indeed use all those scans you directed me to.  And what a fine job they did. In the case of the Hitman Pro over 300 threats were identified and removed. My computer is running very well indeed now and again thank you so much for your help. Have a great day.

Roary.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

I would advise a couple of more scans just to make sure no traces are left.

TDSS Rootkiller

Download Malwarebytes but do not run it yet. Download Rkill and run it but do not reboot. Run Malwarebytes, update the definitions and do a scan.

After removing all traces I would recommend you use Bitdefender Free for a AV. If upgrading to  Windows 10 you would need something else. Panda Free is a good choice if using Windows 10. Also for a browser use Firefox or Chrome and not IE.

For Firefox you should have the following add-ons. No-Script, AdblockPlus, Ghostery. You can substitute ublock instead of No-Script and AdblockPlus. Enable all detections in the Ghostery options. No-Script takes a little time to get used to but once you understand how you can enable only certain scripts on a page it will help in protecting against infection. In No-Script I would also block iframes in options.

For Chrome you can use ublock  or Adguard and Ghostery.

Set up a User Account and use that instead of an Admin account when browsing. If you see a UAC windows while browsing you know something is trying to install that should not be.

If you have an available external drive, I would recommend you do regular disk image backups with a program like Macrium Reflect Free which would let you restore your computer in case of an infection or if the computer becomes unbootable due to malware or a failed hard drive.

One extra software you may want to install is HitmanPro Alert. It can detect unknown malware by using behavioral analysis. Note: This is paid software after a 30 day free trial. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2015 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users