Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Analouge TV-Out Card?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi,

I acquired an old 1978 Sony television a few months ago but only newly started using it when my BF took the bedroom television as his monitor. The Sony only has an antenna (RF Coaxial) input, so I bought an RCA¹/SCART-to-RF box from eBay which works well for DVDs and PS2 games. The issue we're having is that we used to watch a lot off YouTube on the television via a HDMI or VGA input on the newer LCD which we can't now. I tried a mini HDMI to RCA converter box but that didn't seem to work whatsoever on any television.

Then I remembered that a lot of old graphics cards have a yellow RCA-looking connection. I have a lot of old PCs kicking around, so that's no issue. Does anyone know if the yellow output is for RCA? Will it work  if I connect it to the RCA-to-RF box? Or will an S-Video out work better? I have a SCART adapter for S-Video/RCA input. Sound isn't an issue as I already have a 3.5mm to RCA lead for that :D

Thanks!

¹Yellow Red and White, also known as composite, et cetera.

This is the card in question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Honestly I am not sure this will work the way you want it to.  I think the problem your going to have is drivers.  It may work though and yes S-Video is a 'better' solution; but as I said I am not sure your going to get the computer to understand what it is supposed to do with that card.

#3 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for your reply! I guess I might consider it and do a bit of research to find the most compatable beforehand, but the old PC I was planning on using it with is running XP SP3 which has decent compatibility, and if that fails there's always Linux :P I thought S-Video might be, I used to have an S-Video cable years ago but it never really worked properly. Might have been the cheapy television I had then though.

I suppose I'll have a think about it- would a VGA-to-RCA/S-Video converter work any better? I've considered them before but have been very sceptical and was worried they could damage my television set (if they worked at all :P)

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users